    nothing. i changed the psu over today, and put brand new fuse into
    plug. still nothing. the fuse in the psu is still fine. whats`the
    next item on the list to look at??? cheers

    innatelyconfused, Jan 29, 2007

  2. innatelyconfused

    Lez Pawl Guest

    plug something else into that socket outlet.....just to be sure its not
    that.

    Lez Pawl, Jan 29, 2007

  3. The power switch. Literally, the switch itself. Try shorting the
    motherboard power switch pins directly with a screwdriver. CAUTION: You
    have to do this VERY carefully.

    Barry Watzman, Jan 30, 2007
  4. where is this power switch on my motherboard? will it be in manual?
    also if i 'short' it with a screwdriver, what result am i expecting?
    will computer switch on or will i get a spark or what? i take it that
    in order to short it i just need to place a flat-bladed screwdriver
    over the pins??? taa very much

    innatelyconfused, Jan 30, 2007
  5. innatelyconfused

    Lez Pawl Guest

    NO, the power switch fitted in the case...............

    Lez Pawl, Jan 30, 2007
  6. innatelyconfused

    BigJim Guest

    take it to a tech it sounds like the motherboard failed

    BigJim, Jan 30, 2007
  7. The front panel power switch connects to two pins on the motherboard.
    You will have to find those yourself ... it's in the manual for retail
    motherboards. Shorting them with a screwdriver is a bit dangerous, but
    is by far the best way to test for a bad power switch. The danger lies
    only in the risk of shorting something that you did not intend to short
    (there are no dangerous voltages or anything like that). Another danger
    is that if the power switch is the problem, the system will start, and
    the fans plus the beeps will "startle" the technician, again, possibly
    causing a short of things other than those which were intended. If you
    short out the wrong things, you can damage or destroy the motherboard.

    Barry Watzman, Jan 30, 2007
  8. innatelyconfused

    Larry Guest

    Its also possible you have a bad power supply. These do fail. It takes all
    of 10 min to replace and costs about $30.

    Larry, Jan 30, 2007
  9. i have checked the fuse in plug, the socket that its plugged into,
    and have changed the psu and even checked the fuse in that. All those
    are fine. then i got a screwdriver and tried to short the plug for the
    switch on the case to the nmotherboard and still nothing. what do i do
    next???? cheers

    innatelyconfused, Jan 31, 2007
  10. innatelyconfused

    Larry Guest

    Larry, Feb 1, 2007
  11. Larry mate i appreciate you trying to help but i have said on many
    occasions thsat I HAVE CHANGED THE PSU UNIT. i wa then told to short
    the power switch pins on the mother board. that didnt work either. i
    want to know wot to do next. cheers

    innatelyconfused, Feb 1, 2007