Conclusion after 18 months of running K7S5A.....utter shite!

Discussion in 'ECS' started by Ebodski, Oct 29, 2003.

  1. Ebodski

    Ebodski Guest

    This NG is full of posts about CMOS losses, cold boot probs , non-posting.

    I'm in the look-out for a new cpu & mobo, and I'm going to give anything by
    Elite a very wide birth.

    I've been up & down the various bios's and am totally balled off with my
    mobo eating batteries , non-posting when cold , not allowing any clock
    increases past 100/100.

    I've got a 1700+XP that I can't get to run past 1100.

    I don't know how anyone can defend these boards and sing their praises. They
    are bug ridden shite.

    I don't care about overclocking anymore . If I can just get it to run a std
    1700+XP setup, I'll use it in my 5 yr old kid's PC to play simple games on.
    Then I'm gonna move on the a 333fsb mobo and forget this nightmare.

    Ebodski, Oct 29, 2003

  2. Ebodski

    Buffalo Guest

    Have you tried the HoneyX 1209 BIOS and set the fsb and memory to 138MHz
    yet?
    If not, try it. It is free.
    If that doesn't work, get rid of your ECS mb.
    ECS does not have the same quality rating as Abit,Asus, and many others.
    After I set my FSB and Memory to 138MHz, all my computer problems with
    compatibility disappeared.

    Buffalo, Oct 30, 2003

  3. Ebodski

    Ebodski Guest

    Been there, done that....reset cmos jumper with disconnected AC
    etc,etcetc,etc,etc,etc

    Ebodski, Oct 30, 2003
  4. Ebodski

    Charlez Guest

    I had the same problem with my K7S5A running 2x256mb sdram pc133. Lost of
    CMOS, stability problems and so on

    I tried the HoneyX bios and I saw no change. The system was becoming more
    unstable each day.

    I exchanged one of my memory module for another one. Instead of having one
    double sided and one single sided, I went with two single sided PC133 256MB
    dimm.

    I cannot boot with the CAS2 setting for the memory (normal, the memory is
    CAS3) but the system seems stable at PC133, 138mhz and 143mhz.

    I re-installed W2K and now the system is running 100% stable, no CMOS loss
    at all.

    My opinion is that the K7S5A is not very robust with pc133 memory. The
    Memory module that I am running were able to run at CAS2 on a VIA KT133a
    board.

    The offending memory module was installed on another board and is running
    stable.

    BTW the complete spec of my stable system:

    XP1800 @ 1900
    Thermaltake volcano7 heat sink

    Memory noname brand, Speedfan 4.09 memory report:
    Scanning SMBus at $0B80...
    Decoding DIMM #0
    Memory type is SDRAM
    Row Address Bits : 13
    Col Address Bits : 10
    Module Rows : 1
    Data Width : 64
    Levels : LVTTL
    Highest CAS : 7,5ns
    Access Time : 5,4ns
    Parity : NO PARITY
    Refresh Rate : 7.8us
    Bank Configuration : NO BANK2 OR BANK2=BANK1
    Bank Width : 8
    Total Size : 256MB
    Decoding DIMM #1
    Memory type is SDRAM
    Row Address Bits : 13
    Col Address Bits : 10
    Module Rows : 1
    Data Width : 64
    Levels : LVTTL
    Highest CAS : 7,5ns
    Access Time : 5,4ns
    Parity : NO PARITY
    Refresh Rate : 7.8us
    Bank Configuration : NO BANK2 OR BANK2=BANK1
    Bank Width : 8
    Total Size : 256MB

    ATI Radeon 9000PRO 64MB Dual Head AGP
    Maxtor 120Gb + 40GB at DMA100 on IDE0
    DVD ROM + CD-R/RW at DMA33 on IDE1 (requires a 80wire connector to run
    DMA33)
    Aureal Vortex PCI sound card.

    Software:

    W2K SP4 current patch installed
    IE6 (required with one of my program)

    If I had the money, I would get a KT600 based replacement system with DDR
    memory and a more powerfull Athlon CPU...

    Charlez, Oct 30, 2003
  5. Ebodski

    Ebodski Guest

    I originally bought my K7S5A with 2x128mb- PC-133 SDRAM. But I upgraded to
    1x 500MB PC2700 DDR ram. I know it can only run as fast a PC2100, but I was
    informed at the time the the 2700 will go in, it just wouldn't run at 2700
    speed,only2100.

    This mobo will end up in my kids PC, coincidentally with the 2x128 SDRAM
    which it started with.

    With the 2700 DDR , I've also got a 8x AGP FX5600 card, so there's too many
    bits I've added to my machine which are superior to the board speed.

    Time for a change to a 333fsb 8xAGP mobo. ASUS or similar

    Ebodski, Oct 30, 2003
  6. Ebodski

    Kyle Brant Guest

    If you are a small risk taker, buy a refurb mobo from newegg, I just
    bought the Asus A7n8x-deluxe for $60, and I must say, it's one feature
    packed mobo including the Nvidia Soundstorm Dolby sound system,
    SATA/Raid, Firewire, 2 NICs, 3 USB controllers and more. I did NOT
    get all the goodies with the board as it came barebones, in particular
    no I/O plate or cabling, but I'm gonna call Asus today and beg for the
    I/O plate, heh.

    I'm also running my mod'ed Duron 1600 Applebred ($42 at Newegg) at 333
    FSB w/o error (ran Prime 95 all night and passed Docmem and
    Memtest86). I did the L2 mod on the Duron to make it a fully cache
    equipped XP2400 CPU. On pricewatch, the xp2400 goes for about $70.
    Now for some overclocking to the extreme, muwahahahaha.

    And, for anyone who wonders about the quality of Crucial memory
    sticks, my old pc2100 256 meg stick from Crucial runs at 166 speed
    without any problems. I also have a pc2700 stick from Crucial, so I
    can run the dual-channel memory setup with the Asus board.

    Guess my old reliable k7s5a will become my new work puter/answering
    machine some day, as soon as I can find a decent replacement for my
    old ISA based voicemodem, which came with this freebie voicemail
    software (faxworks) that I still like more than any other I've seen to
    date.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle Brant, Oct 31, 2003
  7. Ebodski

    John Doe Guest

    I run a K7S5A with a XP 1600+ at 143/143 - total 1500 Mhz - no problems -
    with Cheepoman Bios

    John Doe, Oct 31, 2003
  8. Ebodski

    George Guest

    News groups are "full of problems" because most people don't bother
    reporting when things are working OK.

    It is very much like watching the TV news. You will here all sorts of doom
    and gloom like "tanker overturned on highway...it may contain anthrax,
    plutonium and spoiled milk...stay inside or run for your lives..." You WON'T
    here "it was a peaceful day in Smithville, there were no house fires or
    traffic accidents, Mary Smith had her relatives in for tea at noon and
    everything went well..."

    I can say that I have built at least 50~60 systems using the K7S5A and so
    far only ran into one conflict with a video card that someone wanted. All
    other systems are working fine including the one with the video card issue.

    George, Oct 31, 2003
  9. Ebodski

    Ebodski Guest

    It is very much like watching the TV news. You will here all sorts of doom

    ......Hmm , I'll have to get some of those tablets you're on...

    NGs for PC components are for reporting/discussing problems & also to learn
    about tweeks. As I said in my first post, this NG is riddled with the same
    probs all the time. If the K7S5A was a car , it would have been re-called
    and have the same cred as a Ford Explorer

    Ebodski, Oct 31, 2003
  10. My K7S5A v3.1 has been running 24/7 for the last 14 months.
    I've had no problems at all. No crashes, not even the
    slightest sign of instability. I bought it on the advice
    of someone who has 10 K7S5A based PC's on his network. Like me,
    he has had no problems at all.

    E.S.

    K7S5A 3.1,Athlon-XP 2100 (overclocked to 143MHz FSB), 512MB Samsung DDR,
    Honey-X Bios.

    Eamon Skelton, Oct 31, 2003
  11. Ebodski

    Ernst Guest

    I Quote from an old article:

    "ECS is now the largest producer of motherboards in the world, with
    production reaching 1.5 million units per month."

    This isn't just the K7S5A but these boards have been their highest
    production board for the last few years. There have been more K7S5A
    motherboards sold than the complete total sales of all models of boards
    for some manufacturers during the years it has been out.

    At the high rate of production, I'd be surprised if there weren't bad
    boards out there. I'm running three K7S5A'S , had one with the lost CMOS
    problem but it quit loosing it after I moved my speakers away from the
    box. I don't know if that's a coincidence but it's been months now
    since it lost the CMOS.

    When I bought my first one my reasoning was that if it went bad I could
    buy a second one and still not be above the cost of an ASUS board.

    Ernst

    Ernst, Nov 1, 2003
  12. Ebodski

    Shep© Guest

    As would all versions of windows ;-)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    email shepATpartyheld.de

    Shep©, Nov 1, 2003
  13. Ebodski

    Mr. Slow Guest

    Best get rid of all computers as well as the OSes don't you think, Shep?

    Computers with problems? Yuk! Who needs 'em?

    Just off to the study to consult my Encyclopaedia Britannica and learn about
    life in the 1940s............

    Mr. Slow, Nov 1, 2003
  14. Ebodski

    Shep© Guest

    "What I love about progress is that it's always backward compatible."
    Sheppism :D

    "The average life of electronic components is between zero and
    infinity.Or 3 days after the warranty runs out<grin>."
    Sheppism :)

    "Never let inanimate objects know you are in a hurry"
    NOT a,"Sheppism".
    But my kinda quote :D

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,