    I did spend some time on HP's website, and I bet I could pay for support,
    but free chat support was making me crazy trying to find it, IF it exists.

    -Mr. Poor.

    ng_reader, Aug 1, 2005

  2. ng_reader

    ng_reader Guest

    And if you are going to tell me it "auto-senses", well it does not. I have
    a link light on the switch to the printer. But the printer only shows the
    port of BNC and the I/O card not ready. (this from the config sheet I
    printed)

    ng_reader, Aug 1, 2005

  3. On the seventh day, ng_reader wrote...
    there may have been something you have to do in order to tell the card,
    which connection to use. I don't remember right now, tho. Might have a look
    soon and will check back here.

    Christian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?D=FCrrhauer?=, Aug 1, 2005
  4. ng_reader

    Ben Myers Guest

    What about the various JetDirect setup options available through the printer
    control panel?? ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 1, 2005
  5. ng_reader

    ng_reader Guest

    Egg-Xactly. What about them?

    Honestly, if I could figure out the 18 character dot-matrix LED display, and
    it showed something that looked even remotely like what I was looking for, I
    would ~not~ have posted..

    ng_reader, Aug 1, 2005
  6. ng_reader

    ng_reader Guest

    Grüß

    ng_reader, Aug 1, 2005
  7. ng_reader

    ng_reader Guest

    Oh, please do not respond in German. I do not speak or read the language.

    ng_reader, Aug 1, 2005

  8. Hmmm if I remember correctly(this was years ago) only option of
    configuring J2552A was through LAN connection. When I needed to change
    the port used I connected an old mini hub(4 TP ports + bnc) to it then
    connected hub to laptop via TP. Then use printers test button to print
    out current settings of J2552A(you neec IP from it) and set up network
    settings of laptop to be in same network with J2552A. And telnet to it
    and you can configure it. If I recall correctly this was only option of
    configuring it.

    Tero

    Tero Kaarlela, Aug 2, 2005
  9. ng_reader

    ng_reader Guest

    I fear you maybe correct. I was on HP's website reading and posting in its
    forum, and pretty much the same answer. Except with the firmware of the
    card, I may NOT be able to telnet to it.

    Whatever the case, I fear it's lost.

    I may go and get a similar card with only twisted pair as an option. Maybe
    that will work.

    Just maybe.....
    Tak

    ng_reader, Aug 3, 2005
  10. ng_reader

    M J Dowden Guest

    If you have access to an old Macintosh (OS 9 or earlier), you can
    use the LaserJet Utility to configure the card over AppleTalk (either
    EtherTalk or LocalTalk). You will be able to set an IP number and a
    netmask, which will make it possible to Telnet to the machine over
    TCP/IP.
    Nevertheless, are you sure that the front panel of the printer
    won't give you the necessary access? One detail that many people miss
    is that you must select "Config Network = Yes" before you can change
    any network settings.

    M J Dowden, Aug 3, 2005
  11. ng_reader

    ng_reader Guest

    Left the card for a 2550A. Only has TP port. Earlier tonight I used HP
    Download Manager, or, who knows what, to upgrade the firmware.

    So, it's networked, for sure.

    However, finding a copy of JetDirect software so I can now print to the
    goddam thing is my next step.

    And the wonderfully overly excessive HP website is, as usual, no help.

    I guess, my meekly pointed question is now, how does an IP address become a
    Print Queue?

    ng_reader, Aug 4, 2005
  12. ng_reader

    Ben Myers Guest

    The answer depends on the operating system(s) of the computers that want to
    print. If a computer is running anything up through Windows 2000, use the "HP
    Install Network Printer Wizard".

    If the computer is running XP, use the built-in printer wizard which knows all
    about HP printers attached via JetDirect with TCP/IP addresses. Use the
    printer wizard to select a local (that's right! not networked) printer, select
    HP TCP/IP as the type of port, enter the IP address and off you go... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 4, 2005