Confused about laptop speeds....

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Si, Jun 27, 2005.

  1. Si

    Si Guest

    Hi,

    I'm a little confused about laptop speeds....

    Generally, desktop processor speeds are easy to understand, a 3Ghz P4
    processor, is faster than a 2.4Ghz processor....etc, etc.

    But there are so many laptop processors, that it's difficult to equate them
    to desktop processor speeds.

    For example, is a PENTIUM M 725 1.6Ghz processor, the equivalent of only a
    1.6Ghz desktop processor, or do the two not equate?

    And what about a CELERON M 370 1.5Ghz?

    I'd like a laptop for post processing, but would be concerned that it
    wouldn't be as fast as a desktop machine?

    Si.

    Si, Jun 27, 2005

  2. Si

    Andrew Guest

    : I'm a little confused about laptop speeds....

    : Generally, desktop processor speeds are easy to understand, a 3Ghz P4
    : processor, is faster than a 2.4Ghz processor....etc, etc.

    : But there are so many laptop processors, that it's difficult to equate them
    : to desktop processor speeds.

    : For example, is a PENTIUM M 725 1.6Ghz processor, the equivalent of only a
    : 1.6Ghz desktop processor, or do the two not equate?

    : And what about a CELERON M 370 1.5Ghz?

    Intel has two families of CPU chips: the Pentium M line (part of
    the Centrino package) and the Pentium D line (formerly Pentium 4).
    M=mobile, D=desktop.

    Pentium M gives more performance at a lower clockspeed than Pentium
    D. So a 1.6GHZ Pentium M is roughly equivalent to a 3.2GHZ Pentium
    D/Pentium 4 (give or take, it's not exact).

    Celeron is the budget version of any Pentium chip. It will have lower
    performance than its beefier, more expensive Pentium brother. Celeron
    M is the budget version of Pentium M.

    Does that help?

    FYI, the big benefit of Pentium M/Centrino is battery life, less heat,
    and probably a lighter laptop. I worry about the use of these desktop
    CPU chips (Pentium 4/D) in laptops and would probably stay away from
    them these days.

    : I'd like a laptop for post processing, but would be concerned that it
    : wouldn't be as fast as a desktop machine?

    Unless you buy the highest-end laptop (desktop replacement), you will
    not get a laptop as fast as a desktop anyway. The hard drive is
    likely to be slower, etc.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Andrew, Jun 27, 2005

  3. Si

    Si Guest

    Thanks for the informative response.

    If it is that a 1.6Ghz Pentium M is going to give me 3Ghz P4 performance,
    then that seems fine to me and will be a step up from my Athlon 2400+.

    Si.

    Si, Jun 27, 2005
  4. Si

    Andrew Guest

    : : > : I'm a little confused about laptop speeds....
    : >
[...]

    As an addendum, note that newer versions of the Pentium 4 have
    hyperthreading. On Windows XP Pro, this could help performance in
    some cases as HT mimics having a 2nd CPU. The Pentium M does not have
    hyperthreading at all.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Andrew, Jun 27, 2005
  5. Windows XP Home also fully supports the Pentium 4 hyperthreading. It
    doesn't support true multi processors which XP Pro does.

    Ian.

    Ye Electrik Fanne Clubbe, Jun 30, 2005