confused about MAC address generation

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Markus Zingg, Aug 6, 2003.

  1. Markus Zingg

    Markus Zingg Guest

    Hi all

    I'm a bit confused about a tutorial found at the ieee site.

    I.e. 3com got the OUI assigned by ieee of 00-50-04 (hex) If I dump
    networktraffic from a system that is having such a 3com nic installed
    I find in the dump what I would expect namely 00-50-40-xx-xx-xx as the
    machines MAC address. Now, the confusing part actually comes from the
    following document:

    http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/tutorials/lanman.html

    According to this document the OUI AC-DE-48 would have a binary
    representation of

    CA-ED-84-xx-xx-xx

    where 'C' would contain the last significant bit but would be
    transmitted first??

    Is it true that the bits of a byte on ethernet are transfered in "non
    network" order or do I miss something? If this is true, all is well in
    that a dump of above example OUI in fact would result in
    AC-DE-48-xx-xx-xx and not in CA-ED-84 but I think they better should
    take that "tutorial" off line or else point this out more clearly -
    no? Any comments welcome.

    TIA

    Markus

    Markus Zingg, Aug 6, 2003