Confused about RAM types and Athlon64?

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by Daniel, Feb 17, 2004.

  1. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Hey there guys :)

    First post here! I haven't bought a desktop puter since my Thunderbird
    800 MHz in 2000 - now I'm gonna build a wicked kickass Athlon64 :D

    Only thing is, being out of the game for so long, I'm deeply confused
    with the memory situation. I've got my heart set on the Abit KV8-MAX3
    motherboard, and I want to stick two 1-gig DIMMs in it.

    I know the modules have to be 184-pin and that speeds up to DDR400 are
    supported. So I've found these very nice (for the price) modules that
    are PC2700 333 MHz DDR CL2 184-pin DIMM SDRAM. The info (which is in
    Danish, and this is a direct translation) furthermore states that it's
    "dual memory". From the picture I can see one side of the module, and it
    has 8 chips on it (I'm guessing the other side would reveal another 8
    identical chips).

    Okay, so I've downloaded the KV8-MAX3 manual and it has this list of
    what seems to be the possible ways to combine sizes and types of memory
    modules to satisfy it. Problem is, it talks like this, "x8 single rank
    or x16" and "x8 double rank", to describe the module types.

    I have no idea what these descriptions mean in reference to the modules
    I've been looking at, as described above... And as far as I can tell by
    the chart, then if the modules I've been looking at turn out to be what
    the manual refers to as "x8 double rank", then they have to be DDR400 to
    work in the motherboard...

    Can anybody clarify this?

    Thank you very much,
    Daniel

    Daniel, Feb 17, 2004

  2. Daniel

    Asestar Guest

    I know the modules have to be 184-pin and that speeds up to DDR400 are
    Sdram is the older standard (Pc133 being last SDRAM). PC2100+ are ddr ram.

    The info (which is in
    Yepp, since they're DIMM (dual inline mem module).
    No idead there.. Sorry.

    Asestar, Feb 17, 2004

  3. Daniel

    Wes Newell Guest

    Yes. if you want a "kick ass machine", forget the PC2700 ram and get
    PC4000 DDR500 or faster. Iff you can't afford that, then PC3200 as a
    minimum and hope it will actually run 200MHz (DDR400).

    Wes Newell, Feb 17, 2004
  4. Daniel

    Wes Newell Guest

    Forgot this. PC2700 ram is rated at 166MHz DDR333, not 333Mhz.

    Wes Newell, Feb 17, 2004
  5. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Well, I don't need 500 MHz since max on the board is 400. And in my
    world, 2 gigs of 333 MHz RAM will still be kickass ;) Don't want
    Godzilla here, just an elephant :D

    Cheers

    Daniel, Feb 18, 2004
  6. Daniel

    Wes Newell Guest

    So you're going to spend a bundle of money on the CPU and MB, then slow it
    down with 1gig of PC2700 ram when 1gig of PC4000 ram is only about $26
    more. Hmmm... OK. Good luck. Hope it boots.

    Wes Newell, Feb 18, 2004
  7. Daniel

    Ben Pope Guest

    1GB modules are overpriced and usually overkill. I have 1Gig and have never
    needed more than that.
    Is there a manufacturer or timings for that? I would get at least PC3200 so
    you can run 200MHz, something like Corsair would be ideal.

    "Dual memory" hmm, not sure what that means...

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Feb 19, 2004
  8. Maybe an obtuse reference to "dual channel"????

    --
    callsignviper

    The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
    the right questions.

    callsignviper, Feb 19, 2004
  9. Daniel

    Ben Pope Guest

    Could be but memory isn't dual channel, chipsets are.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Feb 20, 2004
  10. I know.....but the original information came from a translated Danish
    website. Something may have been lost in the translation. :-((

    callsignviper, Feb 20, 2004
  11. Daniel

    Apollo Guest

    I'd put money on 2 x 256MB LL at 220MHz pissing all over 2GB of 166MHz
    memory.

    Daniel, please listen to the advice you're being given here and don't waste
    your
    money buying sloooww memory, buy the fastest (low latency) memory you can
    afford and settle for 1GB its more than enough (at the moment).

    Apollo, Feb 20, 2004
  12. 1 GB modules now cost the same per MB as 512MB modules upto PC3200, so
    unless you don't need the extra memory, 1 GB modules are the way to go.
    The only catch is you have to buy your own DIMMs, most PC manufacturers
    mark up 1GB much more then 512MB modules. (Above PC3200, 1GB gets more
    expensive).

    Thomas Anantharaman, Feb 21, 2004
  13. Daniel

    Mr. E. Mann Guest

    Anyone who tells someone they don't need more than 1GB of ram without first
    asking what you use your computer for is a fool! I run programs that will
    use as much memory as I can throw at them, and 1GB is definitely not
    enough.
    Probably means dual sided memory.

    Anyway, I would buy the motherboard and CPU first, and then bring the
    computer to your local computer shop and have them install the correct
    memory. I'm still having trouble finning memory that will work with my ASUS
    board. Their tech support is non existant, and half the links on thier site
    seem to be broken. For all the good stuff I hear about this company, they
    sure seem to suck!

    Mr. E. Mann, Feb 21, 2004
  14. Daniel

    Wes Newell Guest

    Hmm... might be a fool .1% of the time, but most users will never need
    anywhere close to 1 gig of ram, let alone 2gig. At least not anytime soon.
    I've only got 512M and I don't even use half of it most of the time. I've
    got almost 60 task running right now, and well;

    top - 14:57:55 up 23:46, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00 Tasks:
    59 total, 2 running, 57 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie Cpu(s):
    0.3% user, 0.0% system, 0.0% nice, 99.7% idle Mem: 515100k total,
    475172k used, 39928k free, 31828k buffers Swap: 401584k total,
    0k used, 401584k free, 253844k cached

    [wes@wes2 wes]$ free
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 515100 475052 40048 0 31828 253844
    -/+ buffers/cache: 189380 325720
    Swap: 401584 0 401584

    As you can see, I've got 325M free and 0 swap space used. Just started 3
    games, Mozilla, and some other apps, and I still haven't hit the swap
    space yet.

    [wes@wes2 wes]$ free
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 515100 509388 5712 0 31864 255284
    -/+ buffers/cache: 222240 292860
    Swap: 401584 0 401584

    Of course Windows might be a lot different, but I doubt it. IIRC, I rarely
    hit the swap when I only had 256M.

    Wes Newell, Feb 21, 2004
  15. Daniel

    Ben Pope Guest

    Agreed.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Feb 22, 2004
  16. Wes, it's because you're just so damn good at this computing stuff.

    :salutes:

    --
    Doug Whitesell
    all your base are belong to us

    Doug Whitesell \(Verizon\), Feb 23, 2004
  17. Enough...is never enough.

    Doug Whitesell \(Verizon\), Feb 23, 2004
  18. Daniel

    Keplar

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    ok firstly Dual memory doesn't always mean its dual sided memory
    Dual rank means it has memory chips on both sides, single rank means it has memory chips on one side.

    Dual memory Aslo could be dual channel memory (you said something could ahve got lost in the translation) Dual channel memory is crucial if you want some ram types to run at peak performance on some mobos. For example: Many abit boards will run dual rank memory.... but it will run it at slower speeds if it is not dual channel and if it is not dual chnnel it must be placed in the dimm slots so as not to be dual channel if the ram is not dual channel or the mobo may not post or windows may not boot.

    However, if you get dual rank ram that is dual channel also then the abit board will run the ram at full speed and is generally more stable and possibly easier to over clock.

    Point? When you buy your ram make sure it is in 2 gig pairs and that they are dual rank (memory chips on both sides = ammount obviously... you don't want a mutated one or something lol). This was you can have them running at optimal perfomance...and you can just follow the direction and place them in the dimms so they can be in dualchannel mode. Also if you think you will ever even possibly need 4 gigs... buy two sets of 2gig pairs... that way you know your getting the same model/version (note: make sure you keep the pairs together and don't mix match them, it may cause problems.. I put lil marks on my with a marker to make sure i always knew the pairs :) Hope this was helpful and not more confusing!

    Most of this I learned from from experience and much tech support with the engrish speaking people. May your problems be less painfully resolved than mine!

    Keplar, Dec 3, 2006