    out of the box and it is doggishly slow compared to my TiBook 667

    -- Gnarlie
    http://www.Gnarlodious.com/Cogent/Cogent.html

    Gnarlodious, Sep 20, 2003

  2. the xp machine should just appear in the connect to server window, and
    after connecting to it the list of shares will be in a drop down menu (if
    not, it may be because the share name has characters other than
    alphanumeric or underscore or its length is greater than 8 characters.

    Fred

    Frederick Cheung, Sep 20, 2003

  3. Gnarlodious

    Gnarlodious Guest

    Entity Frederick Cheung spoke thus:
    You mean the default settings let the shared folder be seen by X? That's
    hard to believe. Surely some configuration is needed.

    OTOH, I know the 2 machines are talking because I see the packets are adding
    up.

    Gnarlodious, Sep 20, 2003
  4. Gnarlodious

    Gnarlodious Guest

    Entity Mike Rosenberg spoke thus:
    OK, maybe that's the prob, I don't know how to share an XP folder. These
    winboxes are so accursed! Some pages I read recommended assigning IP
    addresses, etc.
    Do you know a way to set it up in VPC so I know what I'm doing on a real PC?
    OT: what old movie was that line from?

    Gnarlodious, Sep 20, 2003
  5. Gnarlodious typed:
    this couldn't be any easier.
    right-click on the folder you wish to share on the XP box.
    then, go to: -> sharing and security -> share this folder ->
    keep share name (or change it) -> permissions (change
    them as you wish) -> Apply -> Apply

    that's it - you should now see it from your Mac's 'Connect to Server'
    option.

    johnny bobby bee, Sep 20, 2003
  6. Right-click on a folder, select "Sharing and Security", and choose
    "Share This Folder". The "share name" is the name by which it'll be
    known on the network. Click on the "Permissions" button to decide who's
    allowed to access that folder and what they can do with stuff inside the
    shared folder -- 'Read' to open files/folders, 'Change' to add, rename,
    and delete files & folders, 'Full Control' to let them change the owner
    & permissions of files & folders. You can set permissions for
    "Everyone" or for individual user accounts.

    When you connect to the WinXP machine from another computer, you'll have
    to use the login name & password of a user account on the WinXP machine.

    Wayne C. Morris, Sep 20, 2003
  7. OT: what old movie was that line from?[/QUOTE]

    _Airplane_ for one, but the line is much older than that.

    Michelle Steiner, Sep 20, 2003
  8. Gnarlodious

    Gnarlodious Guest

    I'm pretty sure in 6 days of trying I have tried every permutation of IP
    addresses, Workgroup names and Share names imaginable.

    I know the 2 machines are connected because the "Local Area Connection"
    status box shows packets talking.
    But when I open Finder's "Connect To" box and look for the disk all I get is
    errors.
    In all these tries the "Searching..." has never turned anything, not even a
    logon dialog.

    This is Windows XP Pro, in case it matters, but I don't know why it isn't
    easy.
    Unless I'm stupider than I thought.

    Entity Wayne C. Morris spoke thus:

    Gnarlodious, Sep 25, 2003
  9. Gnarlodious

    Gnarlodious Guest

    Entity johnny bobby bee spoke thus:
    If this is a joke, it's a bad one. I just spent about 4 more hours trying to
    connect both ways and can't do a thing.

    When I try to connect from XP I get a message that "The user is not allowed
    to connect from this station".

    I do get a logon screen when trying to connect from my Mac but a kernel
    panic ensues shortly thereafter. I'm tired of kernel panics, is this part
    of the process?

    Is it even possible to fileshare OSX with XP?

    -- Gnarlie

    Gnarlodious, Sep 26, 2003
  10. Gnarlodious typed:
    the account you're trying to use from the XP box needs to exist on the Mac.
    absolutely not.
    sure is. at least with OS X 10.2 and XP Pro.
    i've had my home network up and running with OS X 10.2, XP Pro,
    and Linux for over a year.

    johnny bobby bee, Sep 26, 2003