    perhaps reflash the card to 9600pro (not sure of the merits doing that).

    Any help appreciated.

    Mike

    Mike, Jan 8, 2006

  2. How did you even fit that card? P2B-DS is AGP 1.0 ("2x", 3.3V signal
    voltage) only. Radeon 9550 is rv350, and all cards I've seen with this
    chip have a connector which is keyed for 1.5V operation only (for agp
    2.0/3.0), presumably because the chip doesn't support 3.3V signaling.
    Maybe connect3d manufactured a card with the wrong connector (has
    happened in the past, though the other way around, i.e. card keyed for
    3.3V and 1.5V but only supporting 3.3V and thus frying the motherboard).
    If that's the case the graphic card probably is fried, may it rest in
    pieces :-(.

    Roland

    Roland Scheidegger, Jan 8, 2006

  3. Mike

    geoff Guest

    My 9250 went into my p2b with no problems and I am using it now with my a8v.

    -g

    geoff, Jan 9, 2006
  4. 9250 != 9550. The former is backwards compatible to AGP 1.0, whereas the
    latter isn't.

    Roland

    Roland Scheidegger, Jan 9, 2006

  5. hmmm. Interesting.

    My last Parhelia I got, was 1.5V only :-(... The only thing which
    indicated to the wrong (1,5vonly and not the 3,3/1.5 combi) card, was
    the card itself. I know it sounds strange but even on the carton you
    could see the other version with 2 notches!?
    So I thought, maybe it´s possible to pull it in the card (in the wrong
    3,3V AGP Slot with some hacking), and use it at 3.3V. It seemed to me
    that the manufacturers have left the design as known and removed only
    the second AGP-notch. ;-)

    But I have read some posts about the newer 8x Versions, and
    possibilites (new PCB, 1.5/0.8V only 3.0) has been opened which I did
    not dare to try out :)

    The 4X Parhelia works very well and have a blazing fast
    GDI-acceleration. I get a feeling now as it is a fast Athlon, above
    2000XP and aaaaeeh.. something with GF MX4x0....
    I did not expect so much acceleration, indeed. DX is very well. Ogl is
    O.K. Sideband addressing works! 2x works!

    Best Regards,

    Daniel Mandic

    Daniel Mandic, Jan 9, 2006
  6. Mike

    Paul Guest

    This reference will help you select another video card.
    Based on the "Practical Motherboard And Card Compatibility"
    table, a "Universal AGP Card" or a "Universal AGP 3.0 Card"
    should fit the slot. Both of those cards would support
    operation at 3.3V and have a slot cut to match the plastic
    3.3V key in your AGP slot.

    http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html

    You will notice that there are a few cards, where multiple
    versions exist. You have to be particularly careful when
    buying one of those, as you could get a card that is ready
    to handle 3.3V, or you could get one with a more modern
    GPU on it that cannot run at 3.3V. The slot/key scheme is
    supposed to protect motherboards against accidently mixing
    incompatible hardware, but the system is only as foolproof
    as the fools who make the video cards.

    Looking here, the Connect3D is the only card I've
    seen so far, that has both slots cut. The other brands
    of 9550 are slotted for the 1.5V key only.

    http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9550/partner.html

    This Sapphire 9550 is an example of a 1.5V-only card.

    http://www.izarmicro.net/images/Sapphire/Sapphire_Radeon9550AGP_128MB_box.jpg

    This Connect3D information sheet says "AGP 4X/8X" for all
    three of their versions of 9550:

    http://www.connect3d.com/docs-pdf/9550 Ref Sheet.pdf

    I'd email them and ask them why the hell it has two slots
    cut.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 9, 2006
  7. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Thanks for all the feedback guys,

    I bought this card a few months ago as a temporary card for an athlon
    setup I built, but to be used ultimately on the p2b-ds for my 5 year old
    boy to play games - the G400 Max on the p2b is no good for 3d.
    I particularly chose the card as the best available that was dual
    slotted, thinking it would be compatible. As Paul points out, the 3.3v
    slot is totally redundant and only serves to confuse.

    An email of complaint is on its way to Connect3d, luckily both mb and
    card survived.

    Thanks again for comments and help
    Mike

    Mike, Jan 10, 2006