    I just use slave with any old sata cable.I also need a power cable ( I
    think ) or is there one inside the computer,I am a little confused on
    this.Thanks

    Tony Pacc, Feb 10, 2007

  2. Tony Pacc

    Jim Macklin Guest

    Your DVD-RW drive uses IDE or parallel ATA.
    The factories use cable select because they can have all the
    hundreds and thousands of drives they handle daily jumpered
    the same. Cable select advantage is on the assembly line.
    The device on the end of the cable is seen as master and the
    device in the middle is the slave. So all Dell or HP has to
    do is teach their workers to put that in the bottom and that
    at the top, then plug the cables in neatly.

    Does your E521 have one or two optical drives at present?
    You either must decide which one to remove or buy a PCI card
    with IDE ports. IDE cables are available either flat 80
    wire/40 pin or round [better air flow/cooling].

    You must use all cable select on any particular cable or
    master and slave, you can't mix them on the same cable.

    |I just got a second DVD -RW drive ,got no cables with
    it,so how do I
    | configure it,master- slave- or cable select ,this is
    going into a

    Jim Macklin, Feb 10, 2007

  3. Tony Pacc

    Pen Guest

    Your machine has only SATA drive connectors, which don't use
    master/slave. There are spare power connectors inside.

    Pen, Feb 10, 2007
  4. Tony Pacc

    Tony Pacc Guest

    I have one right now,I want add a second drive so I can copy CD-DVD "on the
    fly" instead coping to HD first.This computer has sata cables ,there the
    small round ones,I don't think I need a PCI card the system board has
    provisions for that.Thanks

    Tony Pacc, Feb 10, 2007
  5. Tony Pacc

    Tony Pacc Guest

    So what kind of sata cable do I need,because the manual that came with this
    drive says if you use cable select I need a special sata cable.Thanks

    Tony Pacc, Feb 10, 2007
  6. Tony Pacc

    Pen Guest

    SATA does NOT use master/slave. IDE does. Are you real sure you have the
    correct type of drive.

    Pen, Feb 10, 2007
  7. Tony Pacc

    Jim Macklin Guest

    Looked at the E521 service manual, it does appear that you
    only have SATA ports. Does the DVD drive you bought have
    IDE?
    You either need SATA to IDE adapters, a DVD drive with SATA
    connections, or a PCI IDE card.

    You might want to enter your service tag number and see what
    parts Dell says you need to install the second DVD-RW and
    then compare that to what you now have on hand.

    in message
    | | > Your DVD-RW drive uses IDE or parallel ATA.
    | > The factories use cable select because they can have all
    the
    | > hundreds and thousands of drives they handle daily
    jumpered
    | > the same. Cable select advantage is on the assembly
    line.
    | > The device on the end of the cable is seen as master and
    the
    | > device in the middle is the slave. So all Dell or HP
    has to
    | > do is teach their workers to put that in the bottom and
    that
    | > at the top, then plug the cables in neatly.
    | >
    | > Does your E521 have one or two optical drives at
    present?
    | > You either must decide which one to remove or buy a PCI
    card
    | > with IDE ports. IDE cables are available either flat 80
    | > wire/40 pin or round [better air flow/cooling].
    | >
    | > You must use all cable select on any particular cable or
    | > master and slave, you can't mix them on the same cable.

    | > it,so how do I
    | > | configure it,master- slave- or cable select ,this
    is
    | > going into a
    | > | Dimension E521,if I go cable select do I need a
    special
    | > cable (SATA),or can
    | > | I just use slave with any old sata cable.I also need a
    | > power cable ( I
    | > | think ) or is there one inside the computer,I am a
    little
    | > confused on
    | > | this.Thanks
    | > |
    | > |

    Jim Macklin, Feb 10, 2007
  8. Tony Pacc

    Tom Scales Guest

    Jim,

    You're a little behind. The current Dells, including the E520, E521 and the
    XPS line are SATA only. The OP needs a SATA DVD drive.

    Tom Scales, Feb 10, 2007
  9. Tony Pacc

    Tom Scales Guest

    I think you're misreading the manual. Cable Select requires a unique cable,
    but it is still IDE. You likely need to reture the drive and purchase a
    SATA DVD drive. They are not interchangeable.

    Tom Scales, Feb 10, 2007
  10. Tony Pacc

    Tony Pacc Guest

    Thats what I got,sata dvd drive.Thanks

    Tony Pacc, Feb 11, 2007
  11. Tony Pacc

    RnR Guest

    Ok, lets keep this simple...
    Can you do a Google search based on your dvd drive's manual and see
    how to hook it up?

    RnR, Feb 11, 2007
  12. Tony Pacc

    Tom Scales Guest

    Then it shouldn't have any jumpers on it at all. SATA doesn't have jumpers.

    What's the data cable connector? Big and 40 pins or little and no real
    pins.

    Tom Scales, Feb 11, 2007
  13. Tony Pacc

    Jim Macklin Guest

    Yep, looked at the E521 manual after posting. I wasn't
    aware that they were making SATA optical drives. But the OP
    may have bought an IDE DVD, so he will need an adapter or a
    PCI IDE card.

    | > |
    | > |

    Jim Macklin, Feb 11, 2007
  14. Tony Pacc

    Jim Macklin Guest

    Dell has a manual fro the E521 withy instructions. SATA
    cables are a standards item and the power connection is also
    a standard.

    If your local store doesn't carry parts, order from Dell or
    try www.cyberguys.com

    Jim Macklin, Feb 11, 2007
  15. Tony Pacc

    Tony Pacc Guest

    little and no real pins,I think theres 7 female ,the power 15 female,there
    dosnt seem to have a jumper.This is a Liteon model sh-16a7s.Thanks

    Tony Pacc, Feb 11, 2007
  16. Tony Pacc

    Tom Scales Guest

    Then plug it in and turn it on in the BIOS. Power is already in the case,
    just need a SATA cable. Drive should have come with one.

    Tom Scales, Feb 11, 2007
  17. Tony Pacc

    Tony Pacc Guest

    yeah you would think it would come with a cable,it is a retail version,it
    did come with Nero disk ,I think I will try to find a right angle
    cable.Thanks

    Tony Pacc, Feb 11, 2007
  18. Tony Pacc

    Tom Scales Guest

    You shouldn't need a right angle cable for the DVD drive, just a second hard
    drive

    Tom Scales, Feb 11, 2007
  19. Tony Pacc

    Lez Pawl Guest

    you getting the real dvd runaround there Tom........hahahahhhehehehe.

    Lez Pawl, Feb 11, 2007
  20. Tony Pacc

    Jim Macklin Guest

    Some stores may be removing cables to sell.

    Jim Macklin, Feb 11, 2007