    them including whether to make them master /slave/primary/secondary
    etc. Thanx
    Nitin

    Maddy, May 30, 2006

  2. Maddy

    peter Guest

    First look in your BIOS to set the start up order so that the SATA drive is
    listed before the EIDE drive.
    On that one IDE slot it would be best to set the IDE HD as the Master and
    the DVD as the slave.
    The SATA drive does not matter wether it is in slot 1 or 2 .........unless
    your manual states otherwise.
    peter

    peter, May 30, 2006

  3. Maddy

    Paul Guest

    Did you try any benchmark programs, to check the transfer rate
    of the disks ? What were your results ? I'm curious.

    Paul

    Paul, May 30, 2006
  4. Maddy

    Maddy Guest

    I got a transfer rate of 21 MB/s on HDTach. The new seagate is giving a
    transfer rate of 130 MB/s.
    The startup is really fast when I disconnect the old drive, but initial
    bios startup slows down when connected as it takes time to detect the
    old drive.
    My CD drive is connected to the same IDE port and is also a primary IDE
    channel. Does that make any difference. Presently all three are primary
    masters. Bootup is from the SATA drive. Will changing the old HDD to
    secondary master help in any way?
    Nitin

    Maddy, May 31, 2006
  5. Maddy

    Paul Guest

    Why not just move the data off the old drive, onto the new one ?
    If you had some paritioning software, you could move the whole
    partition off the slow drive, onto the new drive.

    I would not expect moving the old disk around, or changing the
    cable configuration, to change the detection process.

    Paul

    Paul, May 31, 2006