    Demension 8400? The second HD is corrupt. I want to retrieve files and
    reformat if it can be saved.

    D.L.

    Dobie925, Jul 24, 2006

  2. Dobie925

    Jay B Guest

    if the old drive is corrupted (bad),
    then you should NOT reformat it or continue to use it.
    it can no longer be trusted.
    this is not caused by protected music files, but the drive is old, 3
    years and that is the life expectancy.

    it can be mounted in the 8400 system following Tom's advice above, and
    windows you installed on the new drive should see it. you may need to
    go to disk management and assign the drive a letter if it doesnt show up
    properly. if it refuses to come online, then the drive is too far gone
    and cannot be used under normal circumstances. at that point, only an
    expert could take the drive apart to get at the data. very costly, but
    doable.

    Jay B, Jul 25, 2006