    WRT54G. It would make my setup a lot simpler and I wouldn't have to
    ask oddball questions.
    ..

    hrh1818, Jan 22, 2006

  2. hrh1818

    Bob Harris Guest

    Yes. I do this at home.

    Run an ethernet cable from the Airport Express ethernet port to
    one of the router ethernet LAN ports.

    VERY IMPORTANT. Now configure the Airport Express to _NOT_
    Distribute IP addresses.
    Airport Admin Utility -> Network tab -> Distribute IP address [OFF]

    This will disable the Airport Express DHCP server (you do not want
    to confuse your other router's DHCP server), and this will turn
    off the Airport Express NAT server (also important if you want to
    be part of other router's network, and if you want thinks like
    Boujour to work across the Airport Express, as well as printer
    sharing, file server discover, etc...). This effectively turns
    your Airport Express into a WiFi to ethernet bridge, which is
    exactly what you want.

    Again, I do this with an Airport Express. I have another router
    connected to my DSL modem, and an ethernet cable running from that
    router to the Airport Express. Works great.
    That would be a nice touch.

    Bob Harris

    Bob Harris, Jan 22, 2006

  3. hrh1818

    Jim Jaeger Guest

    I don't have access to an Airport Express manual or an AE, but what you
    are describing is a "wireless access point". I'd be surprised if Airport
    Express did not support this. It appears that Apple refers to at least
    some of the functions of "wireless access point" as "client mode".

    The general scheme is to configure the AE with an IP address in the
    range of your Linksys LAN and turn off DHCP in the AE.

    Have a look at the Knowledge Base article at
    I think it describes what you want to do, in a sparse sort of way.

    jim

    Jim Jaeger, Jan 22, 2006
  4. Yes. Uncheck "Distribute IP addresses" in AirPort Admin Utility to
    disable the routing functions of the AirPort base station.

    Your AirPort-connected iMac will appear on your local network (LAN) just
    as if it were connected by Ethernet. The router won't know the
    difference.

    You can use a Linksys or just about any other brand of wireless base
    station with your iMac. And small switches are pretty cheap.

    Neill Massello, Jan 22, 2006
  5. hrh1818

    Tim McNamara Guest

    Yes. I have two wireless computers connecting through my AirPort
    Express, which is in turn connected to a NetGear Ethernet hub, which
    is connected to my DSL router and also to two other computers. By
    setting the AirPort Express to serve DHCP IP addresses in the same
    range as is used by the router and other other computers, all the
    computers can see each other and can share my HP LaserJet 1012 printer
    via printer sharing on one of the Macs (wireless printing is very
    cool). The IPs look like this:

    DSL router- uses two static IPs from ISP as gateway and as static IP
    address for all the computers on the LAN. Really only one ought to be
    necessary, though.

    NetGear - 192.168.0.1
    G3 - 192.168.0.2
    iMac - 192.168.0.3
    AirPort is set to assign addresses above 192.168.0.5

    The router uses NAT to pass requests on port 80 to the G3 which is a
    Web server. The other computers are invisible to the world.

    Tim McNamara, Jan 22, 2006
  6. Or set it to distribute addresses in a different range.

    George Johnson, Jan 23, 2006
  7. hrh1818

    hrh1818 Guest

    Thanks Bob, Jim, Neill and Tim for your replies. It is good to know I
    can use the Airport Express to add wireless capability to my existing
    wired Ethernet network.

    Howard

    hrh1818, Jan 23, 2006
  8. No. It is not a good idea to have more than one DHCP server on a
    network.

    Neill Massello, Jan 23, 2006
  9. hrh1818

    Bob Harris Guest

    Bonjour (aka Rendezvous or zeroconf) will not not cross a router
    boundary. Allowing the Airport Express to Distribute IP addresses
    means the Airport Express is acting as a router, and will block
    Bonjour message on either side from traveling to the other. That
    means shared printers, some file servers, etc... would not be
    visible to all computers on the system.

    I've suggested via MacOSX Feedback on the Apple site that Airport
    base station setup look to see if the network using 192.168.*.* or
    10.*.*.* addressing, and default to "OFF" for Distribute IP
    addresses. I wonder if they will actually read it and consider it
    for inclusion in the Airport Admin Utility new base station setup
    actions?

    Bob Harris

    Bob Harris, Jan 24, 2006