    do this? Is it as simple as adding a hub? Or maybe a fixed Ethernet router?

    Thanks in advance

    -- mike

    Michael Blake, Aug 1, 2003

  2. Yes, it's just that simple. Well, you'll want to run Airport Admin
    Utility and make sure the base station is doing DHCP for wired
    connections as well as wireless ones.

    Tom Harrington, Aug 1, 2003

  3. Michael Blake

    Bob Harris Guest

    Yes. Do a little shopping on <dealmac.com> and you should be able to
    pick up a 10/100BaseT switch for $10 - $20. I saw an 8 port recently
    and there have been some 5 port units just this week.

    I suggest the 10/100BaseT switch so that you can have faster Macs on the
    ehternet use the 100BaseT speeds and any slower devices not slow
    everything down to their speed. A hub would for everyone to the of the
    slowest ethernet connection.

    You may need to do some Airport Base Station admin work to make sure
    that the ethernet devices are getting the same services as the wireless
    devices.

    The only reason I would consider getting a DSL/Cable router box is if
    you have a high speed DSL or Cable modem and you want to isolate your
    home ethernet network from your internet connection. The older Airport
    Base stations only had a single ethernet port and that would have been
    connected to the DSL or Cable modem. A DSL/Cable router box would allow
    you to share such a connection, but not have your household traffic
    exposed to the internet. If your Airpor base station is one with 2
    ethernet ports, then disregard this last paragraph.

    Bob Harris

    Bob Harris, Aug 2, 2003
  4. Michael Blake

    Tom Stiller Guest

    It will work and I ran that way (using a Graphite base station, single
    ethernet port) for a while. The AirPort handled DHCP and NAT duties, but
    I experienced an undesirable side effect. My configuration includes an
    old LaserWriter Select 360 connected to an Asant├ęTalk ethernet adapter.
    Once I had printed something the (Comcast) cable modem showed continual
    traffic between itself and the base station until I disconnected the
    printer from the network. All would be quiet until I printed again.

    I introduced a Linksys BEFSR41 between the base station and the modem,
    moved the DHCP and NAT responsibility to the Linksys and all has been
    well for the past 18 months.

    Tom Stiller, Aug 2, 2003
  5. Michael Blake

    Bev A. Kupf Guest

    A hub should do the trick. I have an old graphite base-station. One
    of the configuration options is to make the DHCP server active on both
    the wireless and ethernet ports. So as long as the base-station is
    plugged into the same hub as both the ethernet connected Macs, it should
    be able to provide DHCP service to them as well.

    Bev

    Bev A. Kupf, Aug 2, 2003