Connecting Dimensions - 8300 w/XPPPro and XPS-R450 w/Win98

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Henry, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. Henry

    Henry Guest

    I want to be able to sit at the 8300 and see the entire drive on the XPS-R450.

    I connected them through my Netgear wireless router, but all I could see was a
    shared folder. If I wanted to move files from ten Win98 to XP machine, I'd have
    to go to the Win98 machine, and move the files to that shared folder.

    I keep finding files that I want to copy from the old computer, and would like
    to just have the CPU box on the floor next to my new PC, without the additional
    keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc.

    Thanks

    Henry

    Posted Using Agent 1.91
    [to reply, delete the AT]

    ******************************

    Henry, Feb 1, 2004

  2. On the XPS computer, in windows explorer, you need to right click the C
    drive icon (or whatever drive has the folders you want to share) and
    select Sharing and Security. Then in the section for network
    sharing/security check the boxes for share this on network and allow
    users to change files. After doing this go onto the 8300 and you should
    see the C drive when you look in my neighborhood places, and you can
    double click it to see all its folders.

    Ken

    Kenneth J. Harris, Feb 1, 2004

  3. Short answer, RTFM - at least the parts of the XP one that deal
    with sharing files, folders, and drives. You can control what
    can and can't be seen on the XPS-R450 by the 8300 in your network
    by judicious use of sharing.
    Invest in a relatively cheap KVM [Keyboard/Video/Mouse] switch to
    share your one keyboard, monitor, and mouse between the two
    machines. I use a simple Belkin Omni 2-port KVM. It makes it
    easy for me to administer my 2-machine network from one point
    without a lot of keyboard, etc., switching.

    Ogden Johnson III, Feb 1, 2004