    I connect (at least I think so) and I see nothing not even garbage.

    any idea how to connect to the console via a pc ?

    any help greatly appreciated.

    ahmancbt, Feb 25, 2004

  2. ahmancbt

    CJT Guest

    You may need a null modem, depending on the cable you're using.

    CJT, Feb 25, 2004

  3. ahmancbt

    Claus Dragon Guest

    check whether the connectors are seated properly. I was shocked a week
    ago to see that my serial connection only spilled nonsense. Then I
    found out that the connector seating in the com port of the pc was not
    seated correctly.
    I never managed to get hyperlink to connect. Therefore, I use
    'Terraterm' (Freeware), the standard settings are sparc-compatible and
    you can choose the ports from drop-down menues.

    Claus Dragon, Feb 25, 2004
  4. ahmancbt

    Moss Hart Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:20:34 +0100,

    Presuming you mean Hyperterminal as the OP referred to, I've used it for Sparc
    10's 20's and Classic's. It's ugly, but it does work (with a null modem). Just
    try different serial ports and hit the enter key after making the connection.

    Moss Hart

    Moss Hart, Feb 25, 2004
  5. ahmancbt

    Claus Dragon Guest

    While forming in a straight line, (Moss Hart)
    wrote:
    Yes, of course it was hyperterminal. I have no idea, absolutely no
    idea why my fingers chose to write 'hyperlink', my brain must have
    been on vacation for a short while.

    Well, I have a certain dislike for most windows tools, so I use
    freeware whenever I can, in this case Terraterm.

    Claus Dragon, Feb 25, 2004
  6. You mean "TeraTerm", right? :)

    Oscar del Rio, Feb 26, 2004
  7. It has to be a null modem cable and no graphics adapter in the SS5

    x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

    Mike Beckmann, Feb 26, 2004
  8. ahmancbt

    Moss Hart Guest

    Unless the 5 is different than the other 4m machines, I think it goes to
    serial A if there's no monitor connected. I have several of these with
    framebuffers installed and I've been able to get a serial console fine with a
    null modem cable.

    Moss Hart

    Moss Hart, Feb 26, 2004
  9. ahmancbt

    Vu Guest

    Graphics adapter is fine, it just has to have no keyboard attached,
    then it'll use the serial console.

    Vu, Feb 27, 2004
  10. ahmancbt

    stew Guest

    Or set the promt input/output to serial - can't remember the syntax
    offhand - it's be on the sun website under the nvram stuff probably.
    If you can't find - repost and I'll dig it out at work.
    Stew.

    stew, Mar 4, 2004
  11. ahmancbt

    Greg Andrews Guest

    Infodoc 18318 on sunsolve describes how to put the console on a
    serial port while still running dtlogin/CDE on the screen and
    keyboard (as if they were a graphics terminal):

    http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/retrieve.pl?doc=finfodoc/18318

    -Greg

    Greg Andrews, Mar 4, 2004