    anyone know of such a product?

    Or is there a better way to get to the same result?

    Cheers.

    James Morrison, Apr 13, 2005

  2. You might have reliability problems with a crimp joint to SS.
    Plate the SS and solder it. Use special SS solder (and flux).. with
    caution. Weld the wire to something more solderable.

    Best regards,
    Spehro Pefhany

    Spehro Pefhany, Apr 13, 2005

  3. James Morrison

    Jim Stewart Guest

    For a few prototypes, you might try tinning
    the SS wire with solder and zinc chloride (acid)
    flux. Clean well then solder the tinned wire
    to the board with resin or aquious flux. I've
    had good luck soldering to the SS tabs on
    rechargable batteries this way.

    Jim Stewart, Apr 13, 2005
  4. Who/what says you "need" to solder them?
    I strongly suggest you step back and make *very* sure you really have
    to use steel here, before you consider how to use it.

    One typically doesn't want to use steel for much of anything, in
    electronics. It's not just damn near impossible to solder to copper
    without killing nearby electronics components and rotting the board in
    the process --- it's also a rather bad electrical conductor.

    If you do have to use steel, I'd suggest you use screw terminals
    and/or press-on cable shoes instead of soldering.

    Hans-Bernhard Broeker, Apr 13, 2005
  5. Yes, unfortunately stainless steel is required for this application. I
    would avoid it if at all possible.
    That is a brilliant idea. Thanks. Its so obvious once you know.

    Cheers.

    James Morrison, Apr 13, 2005
  6. If you use the right flux, then soldering stainless steel is no
    problem.
    Look at http://www.sra-solder.com/fluxes.htm for some
    suitable fluxes.

    Regards
    Anton Erasmus

    Anton Erasmus, Apr 13, 2005
  7. You will need an acid based flux which will enable you to flow solder
    around the wire strands. Something we have to do where I work quite a lot.
    Unfortunately I cannot recall the name on the yellow pot with the red lid
    but I can look for you tomorrow.

    Paul E. Bennett ....................<email://>
    Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....<http://www.amleth.demon.co.uk/>
    Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
    Tel: +44 (0)1235-811095
    Going Forth Safely ....EBA. http://www.electric-boat-association.org.uk/