Conroe in stores July 23rd (Core Duo 2)

Discussion in 'Asus' started by DaveW, May 29, 2006.

  1. DaveW

    DaveW Guest

    DaveW, May 29, 2006

  2. Thanks for the info. So now I'm wondering if it's worth waiting
    on an upgrade. Currently have an overclocked P4 Northwood
    (IC7-G, 3.75GHz, 1GHz FSB etc). You think Conroe with a
    Core Duo will be substantially faster?

    Jack F. Twist, May 29, 2006

  3. DaveW

    Paul Guest

    When it is overclocked it will be. The top two ordinary
    desktop models are already in FX-60 territory. Which means,
    unless the motherboards are a dog, they should be good fun.
    It is hard to judge them by their clock rate.

    The $330 processor should be about equal to the FX-60. I think
    the processor in these charts, is about $500 or so.

    http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2716&p=4

    Paul

    Paul, May 29, 2006
  4. What do we know about the Conroe in terms of compatability with existing
    motherboards?

    I believe that the only current Asus board that even has a remote chance
    of running Conroe is the P5WD2-E Premium (because the 975 chipset, as I
    understand it, is the only current chipset that will support Conroe).
    Is that correct?

    However, is it a certainty that the P5WD2-E Premium will run Conroe? My
    impression is that it's far from an absolute certainty.

    For that matter, do we know for a fact that Conroe is a socket 775 CPU
    at all?

    I'm looking for as much information as possible.

    Barry Watzman, May 30, 2006
  5. DaveW

    daytripper Guest

    What - is Google down?

    daytripper, May 30, 2006
  6. DaveW

    Paul Guest

    Xbitlabs has had some info on Conroe. Apparently, the Intel BadAxe
    board (975 chipset) has had a modification done to it. Something
    like 10 resistors and 2 caps added to the bill of materials.
    Thus, if you have a late enough revision of the BadAxe, you get
    Conroe support. The theory is, it has something to do with
    VRM requirements.

    In fact, a variety of boards have been used so far, the wackiest
    of which is an LGA775 motherboard with an 865 chipset on it
    (old tech). I expect a lot of boards could run a Conroe. One thing
    I would want to check into, is whether these old tech solutions
    will properly implement all power management features. It could
    be that the 865 runs the Conroe at full power (65W) all the time,
    which for some people is not such a bad deal (in winter at least).

    You could use the search engine on Xbitlabs and find the tidbits
    on there. I did a few days back, but didn't take any notes :)

    I'm in the middle of a thunderstorm right now, and I'm having
    a bit of trouble with the ADSL. Cannot currently reach Xbitlabs.

    Paul

    Paul, May 30, 2006
  7. DaveW

    Roy Coorne Guest

    Barry Watzman noted:
    So you will be happy to consult
    <http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2547>

    Roy

    Roy Coorne, May 30, 2006
  8. DaveW

    Paul Guest

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainboards/display/20060425175704.html

    Paul

    Paul, May 30, 2006
  9. DaveW

    troop Guest

    troop, May 30, 2006
  10. DaveW

    milleron Guest

    That's an interesting read. It's the first I've heard of the new
    "Broadwater" chipset. I was confused by the designation of 965,
    though. Does this imply that it's a variation of the current 965 and
    that it's somehow less advanced than the 975? I noted that the G965
    and P965 support DDR2 ram only up to 800, and that's sort of
    confusing, too. Why would Intel come out with a new chipset for C2D
    that doesn't support DDR2-1066?

    Ron

    milleron, May 31, 2006
  11. DaveW

    Paul Guest

    They left a hole in the chipset numbering scheme, and it just means
    the chipset introduction was delayed with respect to when they
    wanted to deliver the 975. The 965 versions will be added to this
    page, when the new CPUs are launched. (And at that point, it will
    be possible to compare the chipsets and see how they differ.)

    http://developer.intel.com/products/chipsets/index.htm

    As for Intel memory support, Intel generally only officially
    supports JEDEC standard speeds. Last time I looked, DDR2-800
    was the top. But some motherboard manufacturers may find ways to
    set up the dividers, to get faster clocks or ratios. So don't
    read too much into the Intel specs, until the motherboard
    manufacturers have had a crack at "improving" it.

    Paul

    Paul, May 31, 2006