    software to do this? Just curious, if you have one of these type
    drives, how do you like it and what do you dislike about it? And how
    do you backup your data? Appreciate the help

    Doug, Jan 18, 2007

  2. I use a Western Digital Premium MyBook external hard drive connected
    to my computer via a FireWire connection. It comes with cables for
    FireWire or UBS connection. W/D also makes a slightly cheaper unit
    for just UBS connection. They have various size drives available from
    120gb to 500gb. I use a 250gb. I looked at varius backup software and
    settled on Norton Ghost which works fine. The W/D drive does come with
    software which is on the drive rather than on a C/D. However, the W/D
    backup program is rather limited and didn't appear to have all I wanted.

    It installed with no problem and works just like another internal drive.
    You can use it for backing up anything from your whole drive to
    individual files. I haven't timed just l gb of data but backing up
    about 25gb went fairly fast, likely less than 30 minutes.

    All in all, I'm pleased with the drive and it appears to do everything I
    wanted. It takes up little space sitting upright just like a book on my
    desk. I purchased mine at Comp USA on sale. Walmart also carries
    several models of this drive. My only complaint is I have to put a bit
    of paper between the drive and my hard top desk to stop an bit of noise.
    Don't know if all their drives would do this but it isn't a probem.

    Robert H. Severin, Jan 18, 2007

  3. Doug

    Harry Guest

    I can't give you actual times, however...I just purchased a Seagate 400GB
    external and I have used it do full backups on both a laptop (USB 1.1) and a
    desktop (USB 2.0). Backing up 1GB should only take a few minutes. However,
    with the 1.1, it is S-L-O-W. The 1.1 rate is 12MB/sec and the 2.0 is
    400+MB/sec. I am running on XP/home and chose not to use the backup software
    that came with the HD. I am using the NTBACKUP.EXE program that is found in
    the XP installation disk.

    HTH. Harry

    Harry, Jan 18, 2007