Considering switching from Asus

Discussion in 'MSI' started by David Mays, Aug 30, 2003.

  1. David Mays

    David Mays Guest

    I am currently using an Asus A7N8X which with an nForce2 chipset. It
    will not install any current Linux distribution if more than 1 DIMM of
    RAM is installed. Many other people have experienced this problem so I
    know it's not just my configuration. If the next (2.60) kernel doesn't
    fix this problem I am thinking of switching to a MSI KT6 Delta-FIS2R
    with the VIA chipset. Has anyone esle using Suse 8.2, RH 9.0 or MDK
    9.1 used this board with the following components:

    More than 1 DIMM installed
    Asus VTD9520 (5200 GPU) dual-head video card

    And if so is it working well?

    The reason I include the video card is because I know that the more
    than 1 DIMM problem can be fixed by using a Matrox video card. And I
    know it's not just this Asus mobo/vid configuration because I have two
    identical systems and both give the same result - 1 DIMM installed no
    prob, more than 1 - blank screen. It'll probably turn out to be a
    problem involving the sytem memory and the video memory but I don't
    want to wait. I want to run Linux with 1.5 gb RAM now. SO I'm thinking
    towards the KT6 Delta-FIS2R if it'll work with all my other stuff.

    Any help, thanks.

    David Mays, Aug 30, 2003

  2. David Mays

    badbri Guest

    personally I too have had nothing but trouble from any of
    the nForce mobo chipsets and it all seems to be hardware
    compatibilty problems. none of the nVidia chipsets are
    supported well (if at all). would definately look into a VIA
    or SIS (slow but stable:) chip based for your AMD Linux
    box but beware that the newest VIA 600 chipset isn't
    supported well either. I recently switched to all intel
    based just cause of the amd chipset issues under most
    unix flavors, cost more but the headaches are fewer.....
    sorry if that doesn't totally answer the question or is not
    what you wanted to hear.

    badbri, Aug 30, 2003