Considering the T40 for business school...

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by DBojano228, Jul 1, 2003.

  1. DBojano228

    DBojano228 Guest

    I will soon purchase a new laptop and lately have been looking at IBM's
    website. Right now they have a T40 on sale for about ~$1600 or so that comes
    with 1.3 Pentium M and 256 memory and CDRW/DVD and the Centrino setup. I will
    be using this laptop for business school, and it will also replace my ancient
    Win95 pc at home.

    Is this a decent configuration? I will need a laptop for wireless internet at
    business school (going for my MBA - school is wired). It does not come with MS
    Office but I plan on buying Office 2003 Professional as soon as it is released.
    I may use the CDRW/DVD to watch a movie occasionally or to burn a CDR (either
    music or backup a file). However, since I work full-time and school will be at
    night, I won't have much time for games, etc. I need it primarily for
    b-school and internet use.

    Would I benefit by buying extra RAM? Maybe pump it up to 512MB? When I'm
    online I like to use the AOL, MSN, & Yahoo IM programs while I'm using computer
    for other stuff, sometimes playing a CD. I dont mind paying more for extra RAM
    but I don't want to buy more than I really need, since I won't be doing
    anything really heavy-duty. I hear that 256 RAM is the minimum needed...but is
    that still too sluggish?

    Also, if I buy the laptop can anyone recommend a good wireless router to go
    with the Centrino? My cable box is in an inconvenient location in my apt. If
    I am to get cable modem, I'll need to go wireless since I don't want a modem
    cable running across my apt.

    Thanks for any help/tips you can provide!

    DBojano228, Jul 1, 2003

  2. DBojano228

    Marcel Klein Guest

    You could always add more ram... or go for a bigger HD.... either good...

    but for the things you are planning to do (internet, Office, DVD) you wont
    notice a difference on a machine with half the RAM, half the CPU and even
    half the price...

    No Hardcore gaming, no VideoCutting/editing, no Software development, no
    Multimedia Authoring.. no need for more...

    Marcel Klein, Jul 1, 2003

  3. How else would one set up wireless network ?

    If you know how to set up a wirelwss network other than point to point (ad
    hoc) without wires please tell me.

    Thank you for your educated contribution to our sucking economy.

    Henry

    Henry B Jobin, Jul 1, 2003
  4. One connects a wireless hub ("base station") via ethernet to some hub,
    switch or machine already connected to the internet (if interested) or
    intranet, and sticks wireless cards in the other machines. What else
    would you need?
    What are you talking about?

    Perer

    Peter T. Breuer, Jul 1, 2003
  5. DBojano228

    Hadoken Guest

    [posted and mailed]

    (DBojano228) wrote in

    I just finished B school. Yeah a T40 works fine. You really do nothing
    more than basic Office and check e-mail. However, I'd rather save $700 or
    so and get an older T23 from www.ebaystore.com/ibm. For $1100 you can get
    a machine with a bigger HD/DVD/Wifi...just need to buy an extra 256MB of
    ram for $50. Much better deal. THey are brand new IBM machines with full
    warranty.

    Hadoken, Jul 1, 2003
  6. DBojano228

    Bill T Guest

    Shut off computer. Open little latch with screwdriver. Pop in new RAM
    alongside old RAM (there are 2 holders). Put latch back. Turn on computer.
    You are done. Confirm by going to ControlPanel and clicking "System".

    Bill T, Jul 2, 2003
  7. DBojano228

    eMeL Guest

    Adding memory is easy, but ThinkPads come with a booklet, sort of a short manual,
    which among other things covers step-by-step adding/removing memory by non-technical
    end users.

    <>emeL<>

    eMeL, Jul 2, 2003
  8. DBojano228

    Hadoken Guest

    (DBojano228) wrote in
    Installing RAM is a walk in the park. Get a 256 stick...the price
    difference between 128 and 256 is marginal. Oh yeah, don't waste your
    money on an IBM Ultrabay CD burner. I never burned at school. Just get a
    cheap Firewire/USB 2.0 desktop burner for $100 or less.

    Hadoken, Jul 3, 2003
  9. DBojano228

    Chip Orange Guest

    Just playing "devil's advocate", is third-party ram as reliable as that of
    ibm? What's the chance of accidental damage (not covered by waranty) during
    installation? How much money are you saving?

    Chip Orange, Jul 20, 2003