    coded for consoles aren't ported to the PC.

    Just looking for some info regarding the process.

    Thanks.

    Griffin McKorn, Oct 4, 2004

  2. Griffin McKorn

    Mangyrat Guest

    marketing is the reason.
    console's are fixed systems and easy to program for. pc's are a wide range
    of systems and hard to program for.
    one day the console will be dead but the pc will live. did you know they
    devlopers have to pay to make a game for the x box or what ever but for pc
    its no charge

    Mangyrat, Oct 4, 2004

  3. Griffin McKorn

    Blahguy Guest

    More to do with marketing than anything. The publishers usually want to
    maximise thier profit so they might do an exclusive deal with console X, and
    maybe have the right to release the game on other platforms later on. If the
    game fails on a console then it's less likely to see a release on another
    platform.
    There are also a few technical issues, to do with controls and timing of
    events in the game. Most consoles I see the enemies are a bit slower because
    the gamepads aren't as easy to be precise with, also things like menu
    layouts, font sizes the size of savegames, how will the savegame occur
    (checkpoint or user choice).
    Generally consoles are considered a different market and you avarage PC
    gamer would consider most console games "dumbed down", (see Deus Ex:
    Invisible War for proof of that!), the game might flow differently as you
    play consoles further away from the screen than with a PC, so all of these
    things need to be taken into account.
    Don't forget the X-box is a few years old, PS2 even older. I hear the next
    X-box won't have a HDD.
    I'm sure there are other issues, but porting isn't as straight forward as it
    sounds.

    Blahguy, Oct 4, 2004
  4. Griffin McKorn

    Inglo Guest

    Haven't you noticed how crappy some of the console ports end up being.
    It's not easy and it's hard to get it right, so it ends up not being
    worth the money.
    There are an awful lot of good games that end up on both XBox and PC:
    Halo, SWKoToR, Deus Ex: IW, BloodRayne, Return of the King, Max Payne
    1&2 and Prince of Persia. Those are all games that I've played on both,
    and except for Halo and RoTK, I think all were designed with both in mind.
    That's the key to success on both platforms, dual development. Games
    that are designed specifically for one platform and then are ported over
    are usually not as good.

    Inglo, Oct 4, 2004
  5. Griffin McKorn

    J. Clarke Guest

    In a word, no. Nintendo uses PowerPC and Sony's picked it for the next
    generation Playstation two take two examples. As for video, on PS2 Sony
    designed their own--not sure what they're doing for PS3. XBox is a
    crippled PC (if one is being uncharitable one could say "typical of
    Microsoft"), but it's not typical of game consoles.

    J. Clarke, Oct 4, 2004
  6. Griffin McKorn

    Tom Brown Guest

    Historically, console games ported to the PC tend not to sell well because
    PC gamers expect much more from games than the typical console game can
    deliver. Since the console developers would have to do much more work to
    please PC gamers (save anywhere, mouse/keyboard support, higher resolution
    textures), it normally isn't worth it to them.

    Only the XBox is the equivalent of a typical (underpowered) PC. XBox games
    could be easily ported, except for the issues mentioned above...

    Tom Brown, Oct 4, 2004
  7. Griffin McKorn

    DaveW Guest

    It's often too expensive for the company to port them over.

    DaveW, Oct 5, 2004
  8. Griffin McKorn

    hg Guest

    Don't worry about games never making it officially to the PC...... that's
    what X-box,Gamecube,PS2 and Dreamcast emulators are for :)
    Alright, only the Dreamcast emu is fully 'working' at the moment but others
    are well on their way to being fully playable - the X-box emus already run a
    couple of games perfectly.

    hg, Oct 5, 2004
  9. Griffin McKorn

    Brad Houser Guest

    Only the X-Box has an Intel processor in it. It is a Pentium III at 700Mhz.

    Brad Houser
    <Not speaking for Intel>

    Brad Houser, Oct 5, 2004