Console via ILOM on X4200?

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Rich Teer, Feb 5, 2006.

  1. Rich Teer

    Rich Teer Guest

    Hi all,

    Is there a way to get a (text) console on the X4200 when using the
    ILOM card? I know I can use the web doohickey to get a graphical
    console (I've used it a few times), but is there an ILOM equivelent
    of ALOM's "console [-f]" command? In other words, is it possible
    to ssh into the ILOM, and from there get a console login prompt?
    The docs are kinda quiet about this, and I haven't found much from
    my poking around, so I guess not. But it would be nice if someone
    could confirm this one way or another. (As useful as it is at times,
    firing up a browser just to get a console login doesn't strike me a
    very convenient...)

    I can sort of get what I want by running "start /SP/console", but
    apart from seeing the messages while the machine is booting, I
    can't get it to do what I want. (Running start /SP/console while
    the machine is up does nothing after telling me to hit ESC ( to
    stop.) The last thing that appears in the window while the machine
    is booting is the message
    from the kernel:

    kernel /platform/i86pc/multiboot
    [Multiboot-elf, <0x1000000:0x1468b:0x3941d>, shtab=0x104e258, entry=0x1000000]
    module /platform/i86pc/boot_archive

    So, no message about the hostname etc., and no login: prompt.

    I even tried disabling the X login stuff, using dtconfig -d, but that
    didn't help.

    Is it even possible to do what I want on these machines (have I been
    spoiled by ALOM)?

    TIA,

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Teer, Feb 5, 2006

  2. Rich Teer

    Mark Guest

    Found this snippet at the online docs[1] (as I'm looking to get an
    X4100 soon) :

    " 4. Type ILOM Service Processor commands to monitor and configure your
    server.

    For example, to display status information about the motherboard in
    your server, type the following command:

    -> show /SYS/MB

    To start the serial console, type the following commands:

    cd /SP/console

    start

    Note - You can switch back to the ILOM SP command-line interface (CLI)
    from the serial console by entering the Escape-( key sequence. "

    Is this what you're looking for ?

    -Mark

    [1]=http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/hardware/docs/html/819-1160-11/sp_initial_setup.html

    Mark, Feb 6, 2006

  3. Rich Teer

    Mark Guest

    Doh. Didn't get the full text of your message - I see you've already
    tried that :(

    Mark, Feb 6, 2006
  4. If the console is going to the framebuffer (and then the Java viewer)
    it looks like it cannot also be going to /SP/console over ssh (which
    is likely a redirection of the serial port) at the same time.
    Well, at least for certain parts of the boot process?

    Caught me out for a while because Solaris 10HW2 and 10U1 have
    different defaults for where the console is pointing to for different
    parts of the boot process (DCA, blue-screen secondary boot, GRUB).

    More details in my earlier post in response to one of yours a few
    weeks ago:

    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.sys.sun.hardware/browse_frm/thread/c0205e0fc304b4fa
    Not that I have found. Yes, I'm missing ALOM too!

    Nigel

    Nigel Whitaker, Feb 6, 2006
  5. Rich Teer

    Rich Teer Guest

    Bummer. Seems like a major design flaw to me. :-(

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Teer, Feb 6, 2006
  6. Rich Teer

    Frank Cusack Guest

    I assume this is how you installed the OS? My guess is that jumpstart
    assumed you'd have the VGA console (I assume that's what is redirected
    by the web doohickey). I installed 10u1 on an x4100 using the serial
    console and had no problems afterward getting a serial login.

    -frank

    Frank Cusack, Feb 7, 2006
  7. Rich Teer

    Rich Teer Guest

    Ah, interesting. Would you mind posting your "eeprom" commmand output?
    Meanwhile, I'll play with various settings of the console parameter
    to see if I can get any joy.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Teer, Feb 7, 2006
  8. Rich Teer

    Rich Teer Guest

    Got it sussed! By setting the console parameter to ttya (using the eeprom
    command) and resetting the machine, "start /SP/console" now does what I want.
    Hurrah!

    Perhaps Sun should make this more clear in their ILOM docs.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Teer, Feb 7, 2006