    across with this problem and can give me some troubleshooting guide.
    thanks in advance.

    ian

    cheian07, Jun 27, 2006

  2. wrote:

    | hi,
    |
    | i am troubleshooting a motherboard. Bios: Phoenix. Symptoms:
    | During Power on. it beeps once (normal beep) then bios and
    | cpu informations are displayed on the screen. As well as the
    | message to press Del to enter setup. At this point, the computer
    | hangs and beeps continously without pause until I turn the
    | computer off. What I did so far were, place a silicon grease
    | (heat sink cream) b/w cpu and heatsink. Memory was replaced.
    | But the problem was not solved. I am thinking of a bad power
    | supply now. But let me ask first if someone had already came
    | across with this problem and can give me some troubleshooting
    | guide.
    | thanks in advance.
    |
    | ian

    Hi Ian -

    The "type" of continuous beep is necessary here.

    If it's a long continuous beep, your memory may not be inserted correctly.
    This can happen if you install your RAM with the motherboard mounted in the
    case .. the board "flexes" when you attempt to install the RAM and it
    doesn't fully seat.

    If it's a short continuous beep (the same beep as you get when the board is
    normally first started), you have a problem with your PSU not supplying
    adequate or stable power. Cheap, generic and "came with the case" PSU's are
    often better suited as door-stops. You want a name-brand PSU with voltage
    rails adequate for the system you are building.

    Help us out here... tell us the complete specifications of your system,
    including who makes your PSU (who makes it, maximum rated power and ratings
    on the +3.3v, +5v and +12v rails .. from the label on the unit itself).

    Jef

    Bird Janitor®, Jun 27, 2006

  3. cheian07

    TomG Guest

    and to continue the type of beeping question, is it a single tone or two
    tone beep?

    TomG, Jun 27, 2006