Continous Bios Check Sum error SK8V

Discussion in 'Asus' started by mrkkbb_007, Sep 9, 2006.

  1. mrkkbb_007

    mrkkbb_007 Guest

    I have an SK8V with Opteron 246 and 2x 1GB ram. My first attempt at
    flashing from 1002 to 1003 bios failed - the flash hanged while
    erasing. So I got a new bios chip from ASUS with 1003 flashed on it.
    I installed and all was fine. Then I shut the system down overnight
    and in the morning I booted it up. The message I got was a: Bad Bios
    Check Sum error. So, I replaced the CMOS battery (just to be sure) and
    did a bios recovery to 1003. The system booted up fine again. Than, I
    tried to reboot the system and it gave the same error, once again I had
    to reflash and system was fine. Now on every reboot I get this error
    and I have to reflash to get the system up. I'm nervous as it is
    flashing a bios especially after the failed 1st attempt, and now I am
    forced to flash on every boot - sweating buckets here.

    Any ideas anyone??? Is this a problem with 1003 - it has been out for
    over a year now. I flashed to 1003 because it was said to fix Qfan and
    CPU temperature reporting - which I second.

    Thanks
    R.

    mrkkbb_007, Sep 9, 2006

  2. Did you go into the BIOS when you had this error and do a save? I had
    something similar happen. After the second time, I went into the BIOS
    and did a save and then the error went away.

    Steve Jenkins, Sep 10, 2006

  3. mrkkbb_007

    mrkkbb_007 Guest

    Yes, I did. Then I reboot after save, and the same error comes up.
    The only way I can get passed it is by NOT going into the BIOS and
    telling it to load defaults and continue.

    I also took the chance and went back to 1002. I get the same thing,
    every reboot. Could the BIOS chip from ASUS that I got be bad or is my
    motherboard done for?

    R.

    mrkkbb_007, Sep 10, 2006