    Daddy Guest

    I read somewhere that Microsoft will continue selling Windows XP until June, 2008. Does that mean I have until June to buy a Dell PC with XP, or could Dell stop selling PCs with XP even sooner?

    Daddy

    Daddy, Mar 1, 2008

  2. Daddy

    RnR Guest

    Not sure but are you mistaking "selling" with "supporting" ? I
    remember the MS will stop supporting XP in either 08 or 09 (I thought
    the latter tho) but not sure this means it will stop selling.
    Perhaps someone else can educate both of us on this.

    RnR, Mar 1, 2008

  3. Daddy

    Ben Myers Guest

    I've been told by my distributor that I will be to buy OEM copies of XP Home and
    XP Pro until June 30, 2008. Of course, that is 4 months away, and a lot can
    happen in the meantime. The decidedly underwhelming success of Vista (WOW!)
    will cause customers to continue to demand XP or else. This is turn will bring
    pressure on Microsoft by Dell, HPaq, GateMachines, Lenove and others (especially
    companies with HQ in the EU) to continue with XP. My crystal ball shows
    Micro$oft caving to pressure and extending XP sales until the end of the year,
    at minimum.

    Interestingly, the last half dozen or so OEM XP Pros I've bought all have the
    notation that the product keys are different than previous ones. So the Windows
    install CD media and product keys are not interchangable between old and new
    series. Apparently Microsoft ran out of product keys and had to imagine some
    new ones. The beat goes on.

    What Dell will do is anybody's guess. My guess is consistent with the above.
    Dell, if no other, will continue selling machines with XP. HPaq will also do
    so with its extensive number of large corproate and government customers as long
    as they can... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 1, 2008
  4. the basic story...
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/28/microsoft-extends-sales-of-windows-xp-till-june-2008/
    and more recently...
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/07/microsoft-weighs-in-on-save-xp-petition-sort-of/
    and most amusing... low piracy rates of vista intreptreted as a good thing
    by microsoft, when i can't help but to see it as an indication of how little
    interest people have in vista, i mean if people don't even want it for
    'free' then that is pretty insulting...
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/04/vista-pirated-half-as-much-as-xp-microsoft-rejoices/

    Christopher Muto, Mar 1, 2008
  5. Daddy

    RnR Guest

    I agree. After what I just read today, I doubt I want it for free
    currently till they get the fixes built in.

    RnR, Mar 1, 2008
  6. Daddy

    RnR Guest

    Yep, I stand corrected and read tonite the same about the June 30th
    date when XP is slated to fall off the reseller and retail
    availability list.

    RnR, Mar 1, 2008
  7. Daddy

    Tom Scales Guest

    My organization is responsible for roughly 4000 of the roughly 12000 PCs
    in our US operation. There is no way in hell we can test all our apps
    under Vista even this year.

    Our corporate IT is pushing me to get to Vista. I am being absolutely
    stubborn and in our organization I will win.

    Microsoft must extend the availability of XP. They are stupid, but not
    that stupid.

    My position is I'll wait for the Vista replacement.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Mar 1, 2008
  8. Hi!
    This is the Service Pack 2c release of Windows XP Pro. Microsoft claims that
    the home version of XP didn't run out of keys, but I've noticed that recent
    system builder kits for XP home also have the new COA label style.

    It will surprise me if Microsoft doesn't extend the availability of Windows
    XP in some way. Then again, it is Microsoft...

    William

    William R. Walsh, Mar 1, 2008
  9. Daddy

    Steve W. Guest

    Does this latest release include the fixes that MS is releasing as
    service pack 3 for XP or will there still be a LOT of extra downloads?

    I also wonder if MS will release SP3 on CD like they did SP2. Any ideas?

    Steve W., Mar 1, 2008
  10. Daddy

    RnR Guest

    This is quite common among large corps. Most of the ones I've worked
    in, never migrate to another OS for at least 1 to 2 years after its
    launch for several reasons including the one you mention.

    RnR, Mar 1, 2008
  11. AFAIK, you will still be ale to use a Dell-provided XP cd to do a clean
    install on a machine, even if it was shippped with Vista. You most
    likely use a corporate image (Ghost ot Acronis) and will simply continue
    as before...

    --

    Regards,
    Hank Arnold

    Hank Arnold (MVP), Mar 1, 2008
  12. Daddy

    Tom Lake Guest

    If you have an org. that large, why don't you have a site license agreement
    so you can install your one physical copy of XP onto all your agency's PCs?
    Of course you won't be able to order new PCs with hardware that doesn't
    have XP drivers available somewhere.

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Mar 1, 2008
  13. Daddy

    Tom Lake Guest

    That will work as long as the new PC doesn't include hardware that doesn't
    have XP drivers. There isn't much of that now but there will be. USB 3.0,
    may be one example. Most manufacturers I've talked to say they'll only have
    Vista drivers (more and more are including Linux and OSX as well) for their
    new hardware.

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Mar 1, 2008
  14. Daddy

    Bob Levine Guest

    Or it was an anti piracy move....not that it will help much if it was.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Mar 1, 2008
  15. Daddy

    Tom Scales Guest

    Oh we do, of course. It's not the physical rollout of the OS. That's
    automated. It's the applications we have. Some homebuilt. Some
    vendors that no longer exist. Etc. Etc.

    Also, there is retraining of the users. Risks with the rollout.

    My hotbutton is the belief that a recently purchased XP machine can be
    upgraded to Vista without risk. I've proven that wrong already. The
    last year or so before Vista, MS passed out the 'compatible with Vista'
    stickers to anybody that wanted one. If Dell built a 486 in 2007 I'm
    sure it would have gotten a sticker.

    We'll get there, I just believe it is going to be enormous pain for NO
    benefit.

    Tom Scales, Mar 1, 2008
  16. Daddy

    Ben Myers Guest

    Just as Microsoft is not completely stupid, neither are the manufacturers of USB
    3.0 stuff. With the overwhelming numbers of computers still using XP, they
    would kill their sales of USB 3 chips and other gear by not providing XP
    drivers, especially to large corporate and government customers.

    A parallel exists for this with NT 4, which never had any out-of-the-box USB
    support and never had a free set of USB drivers. Lotsa USB devices were not
    sold to corporate/enterprise users of NT 4. Of course, the migration from NT 4
    to Windows 2000 was rather quick given the lack of USB. But nobody should veer
    think that because Windows 2000 really and truly made NT4 obsolete, then Vista
    (WOW!) will do the same to XP... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 1, 2008
  17. Daddy

    Ben Myers Guest

    As far as I can tell, XP SP2c is no different in content than SP2. Same couple
    of hundred megabytes of downloads to fix the gaping holes... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 1, 2008
  18. Daddy

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Dell sent me a replacement with Vista Business for a faulty refurb Vostro 1400 with Home XP.

    While waiting for the XP Home CD I demanded to fix it, I tried Vista. Nothing
    worked with any of the apps I have. End of story. I buy the machine for the apps.

    And of course there would be a one time learning curve to find out where in God's
    name the familiar option settings are to fix the wretched defaults.

    So that's an example of declining a free copy, that's in fact strongly motivated
    to get rid of the damn thing, let alone bordering on trying it for free.

    Ron Hardin, Mar 1, 2008
  19. Daddy

    Bob Levine Guest

    The problem as I see it is that there are three groups of people...those
    that believe in change for the sake of change, those that believe any
    change is bad and those that take the time to weight the benefits
    against the costs.

    It's just too bad that the first two groups far outweigh the rational
    thinkers in the third group.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Mar 1, 2008
  20. Daddy

    Tom Scales Guest

    Did you intend that as a zing to me, since you quoted me? I actually
    agree with you. My problem is that the Corporate IT is in group 1 and
    I'm in group 3. As their largest user (to the tune of $40M of their
    $120M budget), I end up with clout.

    I'd be willing to be I'm the longest term user of Vista here, starting
    with the very first beta of what was called Longhorn. The promise of
    Longhorn was incredible, particularly the new object oriented file
    system that eliminated the concept of directories and extensions. It
    also completely solved the 'multiple DLL hell' problem. The list goes
    on and on and on.

    As the date slipped....and slipped...and slipped...every major feature
    was removed until the only features remaining were UAC (the worst
    implementation of improved security I've ever seen) and Aero.

    Do I recognize that I'm likely stuck with Vista?

    Sure.

    Do I know that I have a good 3,000 desktops that won't run Vista?

    Yep, know that too.

    Am I willing to replace them with Vista machines just so I can say WOW?

    Nope.

    I've run Vista at home since Dell shipped me the upgrade DVD over a year
    ago. I put it on, I take it off. I've learned to live with the
    idiosyncrasies, but...

    I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO.

    XP works reliably.
    Vista doesn't work reliably.

    I've been fighting it this week. I run Vista Ultimate on my Mac. I can
    run it with Bootcamp (native boot the machine) or in a Parallels session
    (Window in OSX).

    In the middle of my business trip, it decided it wasn't authentic!
    Nothing could fix that (since I didn't have the DVD). The MS solution?
    IE not longer loads.

    Hmm. To reauthenticate, you have to bring up IE. Since it does not
    believe you're authentic, you can't bring up IE.

    Anybody see anything wrong there?

    If I can't reliably keep it running on the road, can the average user?

    (yes, yes, the Vista police are going to say I'm doing something not
    supported....tough).

    I'll ask the group (and you) the absolute key question that any business
    should ask before implementing technology.

    What is the business benefit?

    OK class, the quiz has started. Essay answers encouraged.

    Tom Scales, Mar 1, 2008