    Ben Myers Guest

    Deeply philosophic, and applicable to all disciplines and walks of life.
    Especially politics... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 1, 2008

  2. Daddy

    wm_walsh Guest

    Hi!
    No. Per Microsoft (and personal experience with SP2c , which appears
    to be available in "pre-slipstreamed" form on OEM XP Pro discs) there
    are no changes to SP2 other than to add the new keys, or perhaps more
    properly, the new algorithm that approves new keys.
    I can't imagine why they wouldn't. I also vaguely remember reading
    something on the M$ site that stated a CD version would be available.

    I've been running the prerelease version of SP3, and it seems to be
    quite stable so far.

    William

    wm_walsh, Mar 1, 2008

  3. Daddy

    Daddy Guest

    I asked this question last night (as the OP) and woke up to a great discussion. Is this a terrific group or what? I'm in the market for my next Dell PC and want to stay with XP. Looks like I'll want to buy pretty soon and before the end of June at the latest.

    Daddy

    Daddy, Mar 1, 2008
  4. Daddy

    RnR Guest

    I'm sure I can find a bootleg copy of Vista on the net if I want to
    but the fact is I do NOT want to. It's just not worth the effort even
    for a free copy and if MS reads this post I hope they understand my
    reasoning!! I don't need a WOW experience but I do need a reliable,
    convenient, compatible and inexpensive OS. I think XP provides this
    now for me so for me to consider another, it has to have improvements
    over XP that I will use or I won't bother to switch (except for
    perhaps a dual boot/2nd drive, to satisfy my curiousity).

    I begin to wonder if Vista will be the next WinMe software??

    RnR, Mar 1, 2008
  5. i think there is more complexity to it than that.
    computers have become deeply personal things to many as they have all of
    their personal information in them and rely on them to work reliably all the
    time. people choose the applications they need and that dictates the
    platform (operating system). they need their existing software to work on
    the new platform and if it doesn't then you have a problem. i don't see the
    vista adoption problem as fear of change for changes sake, i see it as if
    someone is going to change everything, have to purchase all new applications
    and possibly a printer too, then why settle with just buying the same thing
    you have bought for years just because it bears the same name. why not
    consider alternatives. i think the problem for microsoft is one of legacy.
    i am sure that in theory they want to provide a better and more advanced
    product, but they have become so large and have perpetuated legacy support
    for years, that the expectation of legacy support is huge. logically this
    would restrict them from making drastic changes that brake old applications,
    but it didn't stop them with vista. it is also rather absurd that after so
    many years of dubious software design that they are suddenly trying to say
    that they know something about security, and ironic that this new secure
    platform already has so many patches. apple managed to very smoothly
    transition from their old and very different operating systems 8 and 9 to
    osx by allowing users to install os9 under osx so that they would run their
    legacy applications there during whatever period of transition. obviously
    microsoft choose not to do a similar thing and then announce a deadline for
    the end of xp sales in under a years time when they historically sold the
    previous version operating system for at least two years. it is either
    arrogance or marketing. either way it leaves me feeling less than impressed
    with microsoft.
    on a positive note, in a way vista is a blessing as it has made lots of
    people seriously considering macs over pcs. offices that would have never
    considered macs before are for the first time entertaining the idea, after
    all they can still run xp in a window should there be some legacy
    application that needs to be brought forward. competition is good.

    Christopher Muto, Mar 1, 2008
  6. Daddy

    Bob Levine Guest

    Not a zing at all, Tom. If it came off that way, I'm sorry.

    I'm including folks like you in that third group.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Mar 1, 2008
  7. Daddy

    Bob Levine Guest

    Amen to that.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Mar 1, 2008
  8. Daddy

    RnR Guest

    I doubt MS agrees with you <g> !!

    RnR, Mar 1, 2008
  9. Daddy

    Tom Scales Guest

    Didn't think so, but...... :)

    I'm USUALLY in the third group. Sometimes I'm in one or two!

    Tom Scales, Mar 1, 2008
  10. Daddy

    Daddy Guest

    Microsoft is all in favor of competition. They've said so many times. As long as they always win.

    Daddy, Mar 1, 2008
  11. Daddy

    RnR Guest

    You're right !

    RnR, Mar 1, 2008
  12. Daddy

    Ben Myers Guest

    You should write ad copy for Micro$oft! Just think how it would sound:
    "Windows Vista! The next Windows ME!"

    Ben Myers, Mar 2, 2008
  13. Daddy

    RnR Guest

    Thanks Ben, I'll keep that in mind.
    I just couldn't help to think this way after reading mostly negative
    comments/experiences this week from here and the articles elsewhere.

    RnR, Mar 2, 2008
  14. Daddy

    georgie Guest

    Guess you missed my prescient post last summer. ;)

    very short lived and
    problematic. "Windows 7" is already scheduled...see http://tinyurl.com/262ok4

    georgie, Mar 2, 2008
  15. Daddy

    Ben Myers Guest

    Yes, it was lost in the blizzard of similar posts. RIght now, we are all very
    much into recycling old opinions... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 2, 2008
  16. Daddy

    Colin Wilson Guest

    Microsoft is all in favor of competition. They've said so many times.
    (aka as long as the competition can still be bought with their loose
    change)

    Colin Wilson, Mar 2, 2008
  17. Daddy

    RnR Guest

    So the moral of MS is, if we can't buy them at first, give the
    software away for free and then when the competition can no longer
    survive, buy them out and then try to look like the good guy!!!

    RnR, Mar 2, 2008
  18. Daddy

    Tony Harding Guest

    That's because this is a new OEM version of XP, known as SP2C, which has
    a new series of product keys (which won't work with previous XP install
    CDs). MS is very specific about the person/company installing XP being
    responsible for end user support (probably like other OEM versions).

    http://blogs.technet.com/backroom/a...-xp-professional-service-pack-2c-release.aspx

    Tony Harding, Mar 2, 2008
  19. Daddy

    RnR Guest

    I was going to ask the difference between 2c and 3 here but instead I
    looked it up on the net and found this link to explain it (of course
    there is probably others) ........
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP

    RnR, Mar 2, 2008
  20. Daddy