Controlling the position of a new window

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by rickman, Jan 18, 2009.

  1. rickman

    rickman Guest

    I am using a terminal emulator program (PuTTY) with a Forth program in
    a development cycle. Because of problems reloading the program being
    debugged, Each cycle around the code-test loop, I close Win32Forth and
    use a Windows batch file to start Forth, load the Forth program,
    invoke the Forth application and to start PuTTY in a new window using
    the Windows START command. Win32Forth starts up in the same window
    size and location it was last closed. But PuTTY starts in a window
    that moves each time it is opened. Is there a way to open the PuTTY
    window at a fixed location? The default terminal parameters set the
    window size ok, I just need to control the location.

    I am open to using a different terminal emulator if that would help.
    PuTTY is the best one I have found, but I am not wedded to it.
    Windows telnet and Hyperterm and Realterm are the other ones I have
    looked at. I just need it to be able to start up automatically in the
    state I am using, 85 columns, 29 rows, a easily readable font and to
    start a telnet connection to localhost, port 23. PuTTY seems to do
    all of this except for the window position.

    Rick

    rickman, Jan 18, 2009

  2. rickman

    Jon Kirwan Guest

    I can't judge the value of it for you, but I often reach for the uCon
    Embedded Console. It provides a TFTP client/server, a DHCP server,
    and more, plus serial command scripting, and a terminal server that
    allows you to access the PC's serial port remotely via telnet. It's
    free and it runs on Windows, though I think the author is maybe
    working on a Wine version or something to go beyond Windows. It's
    been continuously updated over the years, as well. The last one I
    found was from September 2008.

    http://microcross.com/ucon_install.zip

    Also, see this page -- partway down -- for the same link:
    http://microcross.com/html/micromonitor.html

    Also, it starts up really fast. I use it regularly on old beater
    machines -- I'm talking about 80486 machines operating Win98SE at
    33MHz, for example. None of that .NET crap to slow things down.

    I also use PuTTY, though, for some things. I like them both.

    Jon

    Jon Kirwan, Jan 18, 2009

  3. rickman

    rickman Guest

    Jim,

    Thanks. I am currently using ExtraPuTTY which allows the location of
    the window to be set. However, it opens an extra side window along
    with PuTTY, which then needs to be closed for my purposes. But I can
    live with that. I am going to focus on the other aspects of my
    program. But when I get back to this, I may try your suggestions.

    Rick

    rickman, Feb 8, 2009
  4. rickman

    rickman Guest

    Thanks. I can figure out what dimensions to use. Right now the
    program will remember the window size, so I should be able to read
    that from the init dialog.

    Rick

    rickman, Feb 9, 2009