Convert Airport Exp. from Airtunes to base station

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Slipface, Jan 12, 2008.

  1. Slipface

    Slipface Guest

    Ok, I tried this on the mac.misc group and got nothing but crickets
    chirping. I'll give it one last shot here :)

    I currently have an Airport Extreme base station for my internet
    access, and an Airport Express running Airtunes. I would like to
    remove the Extreme and convert the Express to be my main internet
    router/base station. (I won't be using Airtunes any longer.)

    Can I just disconnect both routers, connect the Express to my cable
    modem, and then set it up via the Airport Admin utility, or should I
    change any settings *before* I disconnect them from their current
    locations?

    I wouldn't expect it to make a difference, but just in case it does,
    I'd rather know ahead of time :)

    TIA,
    _d

    Slipface, Jan 12, 2008

  2. Slipface

    VAXman- Guest

    You could just reset it to factory defaults (their a small reset button you
    will need to depress with a pencil tip) and then go from there. The Airport
    Express can maintain profiles. I use mine at home only as a way to stream
    (AirTunes) music to the sournd system and to allow wireless access to a USB
    printer. When I travel, I take the AE with me and set the AE's profile to
    one where it is now a wireless router. I like this as many hotels with free
    internet still wired internet in the room. The AE keeps me unteathered.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

    VAXman- , Jan 12, 2008

  3. Slipface-

    I saw your other post, but was waiting to see what others thought before
    replying. I no longer have my AirPort Express, so can't verify anything!

    I think it will work the way you want. At most, you might need to reset
    the Express to factory defaults, to get it to respond to the utility.
    As far as I know, you can only access it wirelessly. The Ethernet port
    is only good for connecting to your cable modem. (You may have to
    recycle power to the cable modem, to get to assign an IP address to the
    Express.)

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Jan 12, 2008
  4. Slipface

    Slipface Guest

    Thanks, guys. I saw the thing about profiles in the user guide, but it
    sounded a bit complicated. That does sound like a reasonable way to do
    it. I could create the new profile, and later on just delete the old
    Airtunes profile.

    As for recycling the power to the modem, I'll definitely keep note of
    that in case it doesn't work, I'll give it a try.

    thanks!
    _dennis

    Slipface, Jan 16, 2008