Convert video files for Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple' started by dufffman, Aug 9, 2007.

  1. dufffman

    dufffman Guest

    Hi,

    I have searched a lot of different sites and groups, but couldn't get
    a satisfactory answer, so here I am..

    I just got a macbookPro (love it! I am a convert), got an AppleTV
    (love that too!) and an iPhone. love all these new gizmos. I spent
    around $4000 on these things and now when I want to upload my videos
    onto AppleTv/iPhone I realize iTunes only accepts certain formats!?!

    I found a ton of software for $30 - $40 to help me convert my files to
    an appleTv likable format. But there has to be some open source or
    some free software that can do this, no?

    Any recommendations on any such free software?

    Help is much appreciated.

    Cheers,

    dufffman, Aug 9, 2007

  2. dufffman

    dufffman Guest

    Thanks Mabsey -- I said video to refer to generically anything. For
    the time being its divx files and some home video files I have taken
    using my sony camcorder. But eventually it could be dvd's and
    essentially any other video I have. I suppose whats another $20 - $30
    after spending 4g's! But I just want to make sure that it really is
    what I'll need to do to be able to conver the videos.

    No free software around? :(

    Cheers,

    dufffman, Aug 9, 2007

  3. When the day comes that everyone uses the same codec, the world will
    explode. Mac users tend to use slightly different formats, but even
    those you are familiar with are hardly standard.

    Only you can decided what to do. Does your Sony make files that can be
    understood at all on a Mac? Sony is famous for using their own
    proprietary formats. What other sorts of formats or media will you be
    encoding? Encoding to what?

    Make your shortlist and start doing your research. In an hour you will
    have most of your outstanding questions answered. This, at least, has
    not changed by moving to a Mac.
    Better read this thread again. I count three examples of free software
    that can re-encode all sorts of media.

    Clever Monkey, Aug 9, 2007
  4. After spending some four grand what's another thirty or forty bucks?

    Michelle Steiner, Aug 9, 2007