    the file and let iTunes play it.

    Ideas?

    Thanks,

    DaveC, May 14, 2004

  2. DaveC

    Doug Brown Guest

    If it's not a protected file (as in, if you didn't buy it from one of
    the online music stores), iTunes 4.5 claims to be able to import WMA
    files.

    Doug

    Doug Brown, May 14, 2004

  3. It can, but only the Windows version.

    And Microsoft has an interesting definition of "unprotected" WMA files!
    A year or two ago I wanted to make a copy of an audio CD at work. This
    CD had the commentary for a public information board for which we had
    built the sound system. The Windows PC I was using only had Microsoft
    Windows Media Player on it. WMP would only let me copy the CD to a WMA
    file, so that's what we ended up with.

    Last week we needed to reload the commentary on to the player. Rather
    than getting the customer to try and find their CD, I thought I would
    just dig out the copy I had wisely made. I went to play the track in WMP,
    and all it would do was start up the web browser and try and connect to
    a page at Microsoft's web site. No error messages, and since that PC
    wasn't connected to the Internet I couldn't even find out where it was
    trying to go!

    I had to try playing the track on another PC with an Internet connection
    to find it was going to a web page that told me I didn't have a license
    to play the content, and would I like to try and download one? I did
    that and it played fine, but I had no easy way of getting the license to
    the first PC and WMP wouldn't let me convert the file to any other
    format. Eventually I found Quintessential Player, a freeware program
    which would convert from WMA to MP3.

    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~rojaws/

    Roger Johnstone, May 14, 2004
  4. DaveC

    MatFox Guest

    easyWMA lets you convert it into mp3 format.

    MatFox, May 14, 2004
  5. DaveC

    Doug Brown Guest

    Thanks for the correction! You're right; Apple hides the "Windows only"
    designation in the Import Music section on the iTunes webpage. They sure
    had me tricked! You'd think both the Mac and Windows versions could do
    it, even though there probably isn't a *huge* demand for Mac users
    converting WMA to AAC/whatever.

    Doug

    Doug Brown, May 15, 2004
  6. DaveC

    DeanDMX Guest

    or use a program called EasyWMA search on versiontracker or macupdate for it.

    DeanDMX, May 22, 2004