  1. How do you convert .prc and .mobi files to .epub files?

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, Apr 30, 2012

  2. Michelle Steiner wrote:
    > How do you convert .prc and .mobi files to .epub files?

    Calibre.

    Geoff.

    In 1969 the US could put a man on the moon, now teenagers just howl at it. :-(

    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Apr 30, 2012

  3. Michelle Steiner

    J. Stewart Guest

    I use Calibre <http://calibre-ebook.com/download>.
    --
    Use ROT 13 on email address for replies to sender

    J. Stewart, Apr 30, 2012
  4. In article <2012043016095412570-cfnzrpu@jvaqfgernzarg>,
    J. Stewart <> wrote:

    > > How do you convert .prc and .mobi files to .epub files?

    > I use Calibre <http://calibre-ebook.com/download>.

    Thanks; I had forgotten about that app.

    -- Michelle

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, Apr 30, 2012
  5. Michelle Steiner

    nospam Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > How do you convert .prc and .mobi files to .epub files?

    calibre
    <http://calibre-ebook.com/>

    the formats it supports are:
    <http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#what-formats-does-app-support-
    conversion-to-from>

    Input Formats: CBZ, CBR, CBC, CHM, DJVU, EPUB, FB2, HTML, HTMLZ, LIT,
    LRF, MOBI, ODT, PDF, PRC, PDB, PML, RB, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT, TXTZ

    Output Formats: EPUB, FB2, OEB, LIT, LRF, MOBI, HTMLZ, PDB, PML, RB,
    PDF, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT, TXTZ

    nospam, Apr 30, 2012
  6. Michelle Steiner

    Bread Guest

    On 2012-04-30 20:24:25 +0000, nospam said:

    > the formats it supports are:
    > <http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#what-formats-does-app-support-
    > conversion-to-from>
    >
    > Input Formats: CBZ, CBR, CBC, CHM, DJVU, EPUB, FB2, HTML, HTMLZ, LIT,
    > LRF, MOBI, ODT, PDF, PRC, PDB, PML, RB, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT, TXTZ
    >
    > Output Formats: EPUB, FB2, OEB, LIT, LRF, MOBI, HTMLZ, PDB, PML, RB,
    > PDF, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT, TXTZ

    Has anyone else had problems converting from epub and/or mobi to PDF?

    I've got an e-book which has some forms and tables and such, and when I
    used Calibre to convert, all those graphic elements were left out (and
    they were the main reason I was trying to convert- particularly so I
    could print those bits out).

    Any other recommendations for mobi or epub -> PDF?

    Come to think of it, any recommended apps for reading them? Calibre is
    great for organizing and some of the converting, but the reader isn't
    great.

    (A reader which has a working Print function would be enough for
    conversions to PDF given OS X's built in print-to-pdf)

    Thanks

    Bread, Apr 30, 2012
  7. In article <300420121324253534%>,
    nospam <> wrote:

    > the formats it supports are:
    > <http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#what-formats-does-app-support-
    > conversion-to-from>

    I set it up to convert to .epub format, but I got .prc format in addition
    to the .epub file. Also, there's a file named metadata.opf. Can I ignore
    all the files other than the .epub file?

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, Apr 30, 2012
  8. In article <jnn0bo$qsf$>,
    Todd Allcock <> wrote:

    > > I set it up to convert to .epub format, but I got .prc format in
    > > addition to the .epub file. Also, there's a file named metadata.opf.
    > > Can I ignore all the files other than the .epub file?

    > Calibre is also a management tool for ebooks, like iTunes is for music.
    > The .prc is a copy of the original, placed in the Calibre library. You
    > can ignore it and the .opf, which is essentially tagging data visible in
    > the Calibre interface, and added to converted files.

    Thanks.

    -- Michelle

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, Apr 30, 2012
  9. In article <jnn003$ops$>,
    Todd Allcock <> wrote:

    > Most ebook formats (mobi, epub, lit) are just compressed HTML. To print a
    > section I typically just convert them to HTML, then cut/paste and print
    > the desired selection.

    Todd-

    Reading your comment, I tried changing an EPUB file suffix to HTML and
    opened it in Safari. It was garbage, but I noticed "PK" near the top.
    Suspecting it might be a ZIP file, I changed the suffix to ZIP and
    double-clicked it. A folder was created that has a bunch of HTML files.
    Each appears to be a chapter in the book. There are also some other
    files including a JPEG of the cover.

    So how did you convert to HTML? Was Calibre able to do that and
    maintain the layout of graphic elements?

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, May 1, 2012
  10. In article <>,
    Fred McKenzie <> wrote:

    > Reading your comment, I tried changing an EPUB file suffix to HTML and
    > opened it in Safari. It was garbage, but I noticed "PK" near the top.
    > Suspecting it might be a ZIP file, I changed the suffix to ZIP and
    > double-clicked it. A folder was created that has a bunch of HTML files.
    > Each appears to be a chapter in the book. There are also some other
    > files including a JPEG of the cover.

    I tried changing the name of filename.epub to filename.zip, and
    double-clicking it. That created a file named filname.zip.cpgz, whatever
    that is. Double-clicking it created a zip file.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, May 1, 2012
  11. Michelle Steiner

    sbt Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > How do you convert .prc and .mobi files to .epub files?

    Probably the best choice (and the one you'll see most) is Calibre.

    --
    Spenser

    sbt, May 1, 2012
  12. Michelle Steiner

    Lu Powell Guest

    >"Michelle Steiner" wrote in message
    >
    >How do you convert .prc and .mobi files to .epub files?
    >
    >--
    >Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
    >People's Democratic Republic is to Democracy.

    Although you seem to want to antagonize others whose political leaning is to
    the right side of history, here's a link for free software that does the
    job:

    http://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows

    Lu Powell, May 5, 2012
  13. In article <6Y0pr.79400$>,
    "Lu Powell" <> wrote:

    > >How do you convert .prc and .mobi files to .epub files?
    > >
    > >--
    > >Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
    > >People's Democratic Republic is to Democracy.

    > Although you seem to want to antagonize others whose political leaning
    > is to the right side of history,

    Nah, I'm just pointing out what the fringe elements of the conservative
    movement is like.

    > here's a link for free software that does the job:

    You're four days late.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, May 5, 2012