    a 420r.

    From what I can tell, the only significant difference between the 220r and
    the 420r are the differing motherboards. Could I just replace the unit's
    Ultra 60 motherboard with an Ultra 80? How hard would this be to do? Sun
    hardware is very alien to me, which is the whole reason why I bought a(n old
    and cheap) unit to play with. Along with using it to learn about sparc
    architecture, I also have a few real jobs I want to eventually use it for,
    and the more capable 420r hardware would definitely be helpful. I would
    really appreciate any info you might have.

    Matthew Crisanti, Oct 24, 2007

  2. If you need a 420, and that refund you got isn't enough to convert the machine,
    you might have them send you the correct one or call tag the 220 and get your
    money back.

    You'll need to verify this yourself, but I think the power supplies in a 420
    are rated at higher power than in the 220s, so even if a new board fell out
    of the sky, you'd still need to swap more parts.

    Cydrome Leader, Oct 25, 2007

  3. Matthew Crisanti

    Dave Guest

    I have never seen either of these server machines, but I own an Ultra 80
    and a couple of Ultra 60s. From what I can see of them, there is no way
    you are going to be able to fit an Ultra 80 motherboard in a machine
    designed for an Ultra 60 motherboard.

    For a start, the memory for an Ultra 60 sits on the motherboard. On the
    Ultra 80, there is a large card which plugs into the motherboard. The
    case will need the support structure for that. The case for a U60 is
    much larger than that for a U60.

    I would personally forget that idea.

    Dave, Oct 28, 2007
  4. 220s and 420s look the same from the outside.

    either way, it sounds like you may have been shafted. send that shit back.

    Cydrome Leader, Oct 31, 2007
  5. Matthew Crisanti

    Trinean Guest

    The cases look the same size and go on the same rails.
    Even the power supplies are the same.
    However, if you look at the cutouts in the back of thr chassis for things
    like the serial ports and ethernet it is not identical.
    Even the cutout for the keyboard connector is in a different position.

    It is doubtful if not impossible that you will fit an Ultra 80 motherboard
    in an E220R chassis.

    Trinean

    Trinean, Oct 31, 2007