Converting sound to playable Dolby or DTS

Discussion in 'Apple' started by JF Mezei, Mar 27, 2011.

  1. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    I have a documentary in Italian with a second sound track in English.

    The italian one is encoded as:

    Audio
    A52 Audio (aka AC3) (a52)
    Italiano
    3F2R/LFE
    4800Hz
    640kb/s

    The English is encoded as:
    Audio
    MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a)
    English
    3F2R/LFE
    4800Hz
    (no bitrate specified)

    VLC playes the italian one sending data on the TOSlink cable to the
    stereo which recognises it as Dolby surround.

    If I switch to the english one, the stereo sees a stereo feed and
    engages the Dolby Pro Logic circuitry to fake surround. It sees only 2
    channel input.

    This is a .mkv container for the documentary.

    What software could I use to properly make a copy of it so that the
    english soundtrack would be properly processed by VLC to be sent to my
    sterao in a way it woudl recognize as Dolbuy Surround ?

    JF Mezei, Mar 27, 2011

  2. JF Mezei

    sbt Guest

    ffmpegX can do the conversion from mp4 to ac3.

    sbt, Mar 28, 2011

  3. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    It doesn't do .mkv :-( :-( I thought it was going to be simple !!!!

    But that gave me pointers and I ended up at http://www.handbrake.fr and
    handbrake seems to handle mkv and other formats. It is in the midst of
    converting this documentary about a famous 747 with an incident during
    president Ford's tenure (Harrison Ford...)

    While I was at it, I also installed Perian. But not sure how much uise
    it will be when you consider how Quicktime seems to have such a hard
    time sending untranslated raw binary audio out the TOSlink cable.

    JF Mezei, Mar 28, 2011
  4. JF Mezei

    Warren Oates Guest

    Very few modern amps will decode AAC 5.1 for you, so you should
    transcode the audio to AC3. Be careful -- Handbrake (and ffmpeg) won't
    encode the AAC channels in the correct order; you'll get your center
    channel coming out the left front.

    I convert AAC 5.1 to AC3 5.1 (3F2R/LFE, if you like) using a script that
    invokes 3 different applications:

    mkvmerge (from mkvtoolnix)
    Faad2
    Aften

    and they're all available for OS X, though you'll have to compile Aften
    and Faad2.

    http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/
    http://aften.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.audiocoding.com/faad2.html

    I can post the script if you're interested. Now, I know this sounds
    complex, but it works surprisingly quickly and then you have your 5.1 in
    a correctly encoded format that you can listen to in your man cave.

    Warren Oates, Mar 28, 2011