Cool 'n' Quiet, ASUS K8V SE Deluxe, Athlon 64, & Windows XP SP2

Discussion in 'Asus' started by ANTant, Oct 21, 2004.

  1. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Hello!

    I am wanting to try out the Cool 'n' Quiet feature in my motherboard and
    its Athlon 64 3200+ CPU. I already installed AMD Athlon 64 Processor
    Driver (zip file) for Windows XP Pro. SP2 (all updates). I rebooted and
    went to CMOS as shown in the motherboard manual and
    http://www.asus.com/products/mb/cnq.htm ...

    However, I do see enabled and disabled options for Cool 'n' Quiet menu.
    I even enabled Q-Fan, but that didn't change anything. What am I missing?
    I am using the latest BIOS (1004).

    Also, does this technology/feature really work and cause any problems?

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    At length, when they came to a (lowly) valley of ants, one of the ants
    said: "O ye ants, get into your habitations, lest Solomon and his hosts
    | |o o| | E-mail: or
    \ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
    ( )

    ANTant, Oct 21, 2004

  2. ANTant

    m.marien Guest

    I didn't think anything was happening either. But a month ago, the fan
    started to make a lot of noise. I pulled the side cover and it started to
    quieting down right away. I left the cover off and the fan slowed down so
    that I could hardly hear it at all. The heat sink was full of dust so
    yesterday I decided to clean it up and put the cover back on. When I put the
    cover back on the fan started to speed up and you could hear it again. I
    pulled the cover and it quieted down. I guess I don't have enough air going
    through the case.

    Anyhow, the cool and quiet does seem to control the fan on my system. I
    didn't install any software for the cool and quiet that I can remember. I
    can't see anything in the add/remove. I run WinXP SP2 - and dual boot WinXP
    64, SuSE and Fedora x86_64.

    m.marien, Oct 21, 2004

  3. ANTant

    ocbwilg Guest

    Yes, it works. I've run utilities on my system that indicate during light
    usage my CPU runs at approximately half it's rated speed and at a lower
    voltage (and of course the fans run cooler). I haven't seen a noticeable
    drop in performance when running more intensive applications (like Doom 3)
    though.

    ocbwilg, Oct 22, 2004
  4. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    What program did you use to monitor those statistics? Will ASUS' PC Probe
    do? I need to figure out why I can't enable/disable Cool 'n' Quiet in the
    BIOS.

    ANTant, Oct 23, 2004
  5. ANTant

    ocbwilg Guest

    A combination of PC Probe and CPU-Z. CPU-Z reports on all the CPU info. PC
    Probe gets you the temps, voltagtes, and fan speeds.

    All I had to do on my board was enable Cool n' Quiet in the BIOS and then
    install the Cool n' Quiet software from the ASUS mainboard CD, followed by a
    reboot.

    ocbwilg, Oct 23, 2004
  6. ANTant

    ocbwilg Guest

    I just checked the manual for my board though, and it indicated that for
    Cool n' Quiet to control the fan speeds automatically that you must have an
    AMD HSF "wtih monitor chip". If you purchased a 3rd-party HSF then you also
    have to run ASUS Q-fan to have the fan speeds automatically controlled by
    workload. I wasn't aware that the AMD fans had a "monitoring chip", I just
    assumed that they were guaranteed to be sufficient.

    ocbwilg, Oct 23, 2004
  7. ANTant

    Ed Guest

    About The AMD 64 HS/fan.
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-3200_3.html

    AMD 64 Cool n Quite Instructions for Windows (553KB .PDF file)
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/Cool_N_Quiet_Installation_Guide3.pdf

    AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor Driver for Windows XP, Version (exe) 1.1.0.14
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/cpudriver.EXE

    AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor Utilities and Updates
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html

    hth,
    Ed

    Ed, Oct 23, 2004
  8. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    I am using AMD's HFS that came with the Athlon 64 3200+ CPU (retail).

    Core Speed: 2202 MHz
    CPU Temperature: 50 C/122 F
    MB Temperature: 35 C/95 F

    I guess Cool 'n' Quiet is off even though I can't change it in CMOS. I did
    enable Q-Fan, but cannot really see the differences. Maybe my computer is
    always warm/hot. ;)

    ANTant, Oct 23, 2004
  9. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Thanks Ed. I wonder if my motherboard is defective with the missing
    options for Cool 'n' Quiet in CMOS. Does this feature haev any depend-
    encies from other features? I turn stuff off like onboard sound, the
    music player, POST speech, etc.

    I did notice disabling NIC (want to use my 3COM NIC for Debian) will
    disable the RAID stuff.

    ANTant, Oct 23, 2004
  10. ANTant

    Ed Guest

    I just have a cheap Chaintech VNF3-250 and it's 1st BIOS didn't have CnQ
    but later versions do. Have you checked for a newer BIOS?
    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=K8V SE Deluxe

    Ed

    Ed, Oct 24, 2004
  11. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    I just checked the manual for my board though, and it indicated that for
    Yup, I believe I have the latest one (v1004) since I upgraded back on
    9/24/2004 when I got the motherboard and after a quick test (didn't
    test this feature).
    --
    Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst the prophets was
    taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He, therefore, ordered

    ANTant, Oct 26, 2004
  12. I'm sure you already did this, but you also have to select the
    "Minimal Power Management" power scheme.
    Cool'n'Quiet works fine on my A8V - but per se it makes no noticeable
    difference on fan speed, although I use the stock AMD fan. Therefore
    I use speedfan to set the fan speed according to the CPU temp.

    Capitaine Nemo, Oct 26, 2004
  13. ANTant

    Ed Guest

    Mine changes speed, but not by much.
    (CnQ - disabled)
    normal - 3100 RPM
    gaming - 3400 RPM

    Ed

    Ed, Oct 26, 2004
  14. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Is this power management in Windows XP? If so, then I already tried
    that. :(

    ANTant, Oct 29, 2004