    No match to e.g. CPUidle ( on dos apps ) / Rain ( on K6 ) / CPUcool
    ( on K7 ), but none of these can cool a K8.
    Does any1 here know of a utility to cool a K8 ?

    TE Cheah, Aug 22, 2010

  2. TE Cheah

    Ed Light Guest

    Ed Light, Aug 22, 2010

  3. TE Cheah

    Ed Light Guest

    Wait --

    Actually, you might be able to use Crystal CPUID to control the cool and
    quiet steps -- probably would have to uninstall the AMD driver -- and go
    for lower voltages, but you'd have to torture test each step (by turning
    off the automatic changes and setting the speed of one step and the
    proposed voltage) with intel burn test.

    Or, if you don't mind losing speed, you could underclock it, with the
    lowest stable voltage you could find.
    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Aug 22, 2010
  4. TE Cheah

    TE Cheah Guest

    Actually, you might be able to use Crystal CPUID to control the cool and quiet steps -- probably would have to uninstall the AMD
    Tom's Hardware has 1 article on this, why spend time to tweak /
    improve a stupid technique ? Just suspension of voltage will cool cpu
    well. AMD 's site has no graph to show this C&Q caused tmprtre drop
    , just thousands of words, because they know C&Q is nearly useless.
    I did this to reduce a Barton's heat flow into a nForce2 north
    bridge ( jams if hot ), til I remembered CPUcool* can suspend
    voltage. Now I need not uc to 133 x11, can even oc to 180 x11.
    * / Rain / Vcool all make C&Q look stupid, I may dump AMD for
    Intel soon.

    TE Cheah, Aug 23, 2010
  5. TE Cheah

    Wes Newell Guest

    Hmmmm... C&Q Works quite well for me. Current CPU temp is 23.5C. Ambient
    is 21.9C. Using cpufreq, which lowers speed and voltage when demand is
    low.

    Wes Newell, Aug 24, 2010
  6. TE Cheah

    Jim Guest