    newer Cooler Master and other fans, but never a comparison between these
    two.

    Any opinions on which is better?

    Brett Tyre, Jul 5, 2004

  2. Brett Tyre

    rstlne Guest

    The Aerocool HT-101
    ;)

    rstlne, Jul 5, 2004

  3. Brett Tyre

    Wes Newell Guest

    If you can believe this, the Jet 7 sucks. I have my doubts about this
    article, but.

    http://www.cooltechzone.com/reviews/cooling/jet7_10.php

    Personally if I were going to spend this much money on a cooler, I'd
    probably go ahead and get a Thermalright SLK series. But since there are
    quiet $8 coolers out there that will work almost as well as the best at
    the same noise levels, I tend to buy them.

    Wes Newell, Jul 5, 2004
  4. Brett Tyre

    Brett Tyre Guest

    I read that article and that is actually a test on the old Jet 7, the one
    with a copper base and aluminum fins; the one I'm looking at is the newer,
    all copper one.

    I'm leaning towards the Thermaltake as it is twenty dollars less and
    apparently much quieter than the Jet 7+. Unfortunately, brands such as
    Thermalright and Aerocool are not readily available; I'd have to order them
    from the internet. I need something sooner than that, as without a better
    HSF, my nice new gaming-system is limited to internet browsing and word
    processing. :(

    Damn this summer heat!

    Brett Tyre, Jul 5, 2004
  5. Brett Tyre

    Ski Guest

    If you can believe this, the Jet 7 sucks. I have my doubts about this
    Thermalright now makes an aluminum/copper hybrid of the SLK series.
    REAL close to the all copper in temps,
    available at newegg.com for $20.

    Get a sunon 80mm case fan for it while you're there
    and run cool...

    Put an old Vantec Tornado I had layin around on mine
    with an old 3 posittion thermaltake speed switch...
    kids wanna game on my houseguest machine,
    they can at the flip of a switch.

    Ski

    Ski, Jul 5, 2004
  6. Brett Tyre

    Buffalo Guest

    The one that Wes recommends can be had on the internet for around $12.
    Why wait, just take the case off your PC and have a room fan blowing on it
    until your new heatsink arrives.
    Or, remove your old heatsink and lap it and re-apply some heatsink paste.
    That will probably help quite a bit.

    Buffalo, Jul 7, 2004
  7. Brett Tyre

    rstlne Guest

    Damn this summer heat!
    Not sure where the op is from.. but if the companys in his area (and the
    deliver system) is as fast as it is in the UK then sometimes it's faster to
    buy it online..
    2 days to your door.. vs 3 or 4 days trying to find time to get to the pc
    shop to go buy the stuff ;)

    rstlne, Jul 7, 2004
  8. Brett Tyre

    Brett Tyre Guest

    I decided to go with the ThermalTake Silent Boost. The difference is
    incredible. Not only does the system run much quieter, the temp differences
    are amazing.

    Now, my ambient room temperature is a little lower, but the CPU temps when
    playng games are much better. Perviously I had been getting 73.5C when
    running the Painkiller demo for around 30 - 45 minutes. I used Doom 3 as
    the first real test of my new heatsink and acheived a temperature of only
    52C after playing for about 2 hours.

    My idle is also significantly lower. It dips down to 40.5C to 41C, where as
    my previous temps with the stock AMD heatsink were as high as 53C depending
    on how much dust was in the case.

    --
    NP:
    Brett Tyre

    www.geocities.com/brett_tyre
    London Drugs, Comp. Dept.
    "I have something I want to tell you.I'm not like other guys.No, I mean I'm
    different." -Michael Jackson "Thriller"

    Brett Tyre, Aug 6, 2004