    CPLD package)?

    Thanks
    Duccio

    Duccio, Mar 16, 2006

  2. Duccio

    Paul Burke Guest

    The Coolrunner series are flash- based CPLDs- they retain the program
    when you power down, and it's available immediately on power-up. They
    generally have very few macrocells compared with FPGAs (say 128 compared
    with 2000+ for a similarly- priced FPGA). Lattice and Actel (among
    others) produce FPGAs with built- in flash. I've used the Actel ProAsic
    series. They are commendably low- power compared with early CPLD types,
    though I doubt if they have the very low static current draw of the
    Coolrunners (I haven't looked).

    The Coolrunners program through a JTAG adapter. It may or may not be the
    same as the XC9500 ones. I know that the earlier coolrunner adapter was
    a simple passive device, just connectors, ribbon cable and a few
    resistors. But with the CoolrunnerII series lacking 5V tolerance, it may
    now require a level-translating buffer inside.

    Paul Burke

    Paul Burke, Mar 16, 2006