    recovery option, and it looks like we're going to have to do a rebuild
    on it...

    Thanks!

    William P.N. Smith, Mar 6, 2006

  2. William P.N. Smith

    Jay B Guest

    i would mount the drive as a slave in a working system, and then use
    xxcopy to copy the entire hard drive to subfolders on the working drive.
    xxcopy will ignore any data errors amnd just grab what is good.
    it is very fast.

    Jay B, Mar 6, 2006

  3. If you happen to have a system running Linux (or virtually any modern
    Unix for that matter), there's a program called diskduplicator (dd)
    which will copy literally everything (down to the sector level). dd is
    often the first thing used by forensic investigators to make a copy of
    the drive (rule #1 of forensics is never work on the original drive).
    It's very low level so, for example, data hidden in unformatted drive
    space will still be copied. It's fairly straightforward to use, and any
    knoppix CD ought to contain it.

    Nicholas Andrade, Mar 6, 2006
  4. William P.N. Smith

    Paul Guest

    You could give SpinRite a try -- www.grc.com

    I've never had any luck with software solutions, I've only had success with
    the highly paid men in white bunny suits at OnTrack... FWIW, OnTrack has a
    free trial of their recovery software -
    http://ontrack.com/easyrecoveryprofessional/

    -- Paul

    Paul, Mar 6, 2006
  5. Yeah, I'm running their free trial, and it's got 144 hours (and
    climbing!) left to run. 8*| I think I'm going to have to run dd to
    make a copy and then some flavor of EasyRecovery to see if I can find
    any files in the copy. Their pricing is a bit much, IMHO, but it
    beats their $2500 data recovery pricing...

    Thanks for all the assistance, all!

    William P.N. Smith, Mar 6, 2006