    additional HD. Doing that with the laptop is harder.

    Also, is there some way to configure Zonealarm (Free) to allow these two
    computers to talk to each other without having to shut it down?

    Nicholas, Mar 25, 2005

  2. Nicholas

    CWatters Guest

    I've used Ghost to backup to a shared folder over a LAN and it's not that
    hard. Might even be easier now that Ghost is based on Drive Image.

    CWatters, Mar 25, 2005

  3. Nicholas

    Kenneth Guest

    Howdy,

    I wanted to comment on this last part of your post...

    I attempted to do similar things and had very significant
    (and seemingly random) errors endlessly.

    After many hassles, I determined that the problems I was
    having with image creation were due to the free version of
    ZA.

    But, to my amazement, turning it OFF did not help. I was
    able to solve my problems only by completely removing ZA
    from the machine that was to store the images I was
    creating.

    All the best,

    Kenneth, Mar 25, 2005
  4. Nicholas

    Chuck Guest

    Nicholas,

    Are you running XP Home, XP Pro, a combination, other? All of this makes a big
    difference.

    With XP Home, or with XP Pro using Simple File Sharing, you won't be able to
    access "C:\Program Files", "C:\Windows", or "C:\Documents and Settings". All of
    these require administrative access, which you can't get across the network with
    Guest authentication.

    On any XP Pro computer, check to see if Simple File Sharing (Control Panel -
    Folder Options - View - Advanced settings) is enabled or disabled. With XP Pro,
    you need to have SFS disabled on each computer.

    On XP Pro with SFS disabled, check the Local Security Policies (Control Panel -
    Administrative Tools). Under Local Policies - Security Options, look at
    "Network access: Sharing and security model", and ensure it's set to "Classic -
    local users authenticate as themselves".

    On XP Pro with SFS disabled, if you set the above Local Security Policy to
    "Classic", setup and use a common non-Guest account on all computers. Whichever
    account is used, give it an identical, non-blank password on all computers.

    Have you added each computer to the Local (Trusted) Zone on the other?

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck

    Chuck, Mar 25, 2005
  5. Nicholas

    Nicholas Guest

    Thanks for the reply,

    I am using XP Home on both machines. It seems the items you listed are
    available only in XP Pro or are somewhere else. I'm unable to find
    "Simple file Sharing"

    Nicholas, Mar 25, 2005
  6. Nicholas

    Chuck Guest

    With XP Home, or with XP Pro using Simple File Sharing, you won't be able to
    access "C:\Program Files", "C:\Windows", or "C:\Documents and Settings". All of
    these folders require administrative access, which you can't get across the
    network with Guest authentication.

    Have you added each computer to the Local (Trusted) Zone on the other?

    BTW, posting your email address openly will get you more unwanted email, than
    wanted email. Learn to munge your email address properly, to keep yourself a
    bit safer when posting to open forums. Protect yourself and the rest of the
    internet - read this article.
    http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm

    Chuck, Mar 25, 2005
  7. Nicholas

    Chuck Guest

    With XP Home, you're stuck with Simple File Sharing, which means you won't be
    able to access "C:\Program Files", "C:\Windows", or "C:\Documents and Settings".
    All of these folders require administrative access, which you can't get across

    Chuck, Mar 25, 2005
  8. Nicholas

    Nicholas Guest

    Chuck,

    Thanks again. I was unaware of the "Trusted zones" etc. A little
    research found it. However, it it seems I need to uncheck the "Require
    server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone" to be able to
    add the computers' IP's to eachother. Is this a problem?

    Thanks for the info on munging. It is something I forgot about since I
    had been of the groups for awhile.

    Nicholas, Mar 25, 2005
  9. Nicholas

    Chuck Guest

    Nicholas,

    I've never heard of un checking the "Require server verification (https:) for
    all sites in this zone", but I shouldn't see it as a problem. As long as the
    computers in the zone trust each other, and you keep the zone small enough,
    you'll probably be OK.

    Chuck, Mar 26, 2005
  10. Just partition your laptop as it is now and make the Ghost copy in the
    second partition OR have an external USB connected drive. If you dont have
    at least Ghost 9, get it before doing this. Previous versions were crap.
    Put the network in TRUSTED and turn off firewall for TRUSTED ( get the
    latest version of ZA if that doesn't make sense to you).

    Interrogative, Mar 26, 2005
  11. You were wrong then. I have used free and Pro and no problems of that sort.

    Interrogative, Mar 26, 2005
  12. You can if you use FAT32 and if you purposely share them on the network.

    Interrogative, Mar 26, 2005
  13. Nicholas

    Chuck Guest

    An interesting distinction. Unfortunately, since the OP reports "I was not
    allowed access to several folders. (eg. windows)", I would suspect that he, like
    most other new owners of Windows XP, has already loaded NTFS. Going back to FAT
    is a matter of reformatting and reinstalling, not to mention that NTFS was
    designed for a purpose.
    <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/russel_october01.mspx>

    Chuck, Mar 26, 2005

  14. Sorry old sone but no it isn't. You can easily get 3rd party software to
    convert from NTFS to FAT32 without format and reinstall.

    Done it many times for various reasons, the main one being that if I wanted
    to use a boot floppy and stuff about with the HD after that, it is a lot
    less mucking about in FAT32.

    Interrogative, Mar 27, 2005