Core 2 Duo and NV 680i Overclocking

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Ed Medlin, May 4, 2007.

  1. Ed Medlin

    Ed Medlin Guest

    Since I have a stable build I decided yesterday just to see what this 6600
    could do with just default voltages on CPU and ram. Ram stayed set on
    'Linked' and Auto and SLI disabled. I eased the FSB up from 1066 (default)
    and finally up to 1333.3 for 3.0ghz easily. I was a bit confused with some
    of the nomenclature of this bios as it doesn't seem to be the same as Phil's
    on his 680i board. Mine has "FSB and Memory Settings" listed and the FSB
    settings are listed as the actual ratings. I still may be doing this wrong,
    but it does accomplish the OC. I ran Orthos for 16-18hrs overnight and all
    seems well. I forget who reccomended it, but it sure will push the two cores
    more than any other program I have seen. It actually pushed both cores up
    into the 50c range which even video rendering could not get past 45c or so
    after several hours. I didn't do any memory tweaking as I was just
    interested in what I could get the CPU to for right now. To be perfectly
    honest, I am a bit confused with all the memory settings except for the
    timings and dividers. 5-4 and 3-2 will not boot to XP with the default
    timings so I will have to do some experimenting there after I run awhile at
    these settings just to be sure of good stability. I think that relaxing the
    default timings might help a lot. Default is 3-3-3-4 IIRC so I have some
    room to work with. The Overclocking section of the Asus P5N32-E SLI manual
    is not very helpful when it comes to actually doing anything. The Asus forum
    is not much better. Oh well, I will find what I need to know somewhere after
    a bit of digging. That is where everything is now.

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, May 4, 2007

  2. Ed Medlin

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Ed Medlin' wrote, in part:
    | Since I have a stable build I decided yesterday just to see what this 6600
    | could do with just default voltages on CPU and ram. Ram stayed set on
    | 'Linked' and Auto and SLI disabled. I eased the FSB up from 1066 (default)
    | and finally up to 1333.3 for 3.0ghz easily. I was a bit confused with some
    | of the nomenclature of this bios as it doesn't seem to be the same as
    Phil's
    | on his 680i board. Mine has "FSB and Memory Settings" listed and the FSB
    | settings are listed as the actual ratings. I still may be doing this
    wrong,
    | but it does accomplish the OC.
    _____

    It seems you have a good solid start on your system.
    It is too bad that a translator is needed to compare BIOS settings even for
    motherboards with the same chipset but different manufacturers.

    So here is my contribution, using nTune reports for the actual values.
    (Caveat - nTune is still a bit squirrelly; as an example sometimes I can get
    nTune to report the SPD information for memory modules, sometimes not.)

    Here below are the nTune reports and SiSoft Sandra Lite ver. 2007.4.11.22
    Benchmarks for my E4300 / EVGA 680i system, CPU speed 2.7 GHz for two
    different Memory Bus speeds, 600 MHz and 1200 MHz.

    ***** 1200 MHz FSB / 600 MHz Memory Bus nTune Information
    System Clocks:
    Reference clock (FSB): 300 MHz
    CPU multiplier: 9 X
    CPU core frequency: 2,700 MHz
    FSB Frequency: 1,200 (QDR) MHz
    Memory bus frequency: 600 (DDR2) MHz
    SPP Reference clock: 2,500 MHz
    MCP Reference clock: 2,500 MHz

    System Voltages:
    CPU: 1.250 v
    Memory: 2.300 v
    FSB: 1.400 v
    HT nForce SPP <-> MCP: 1.200 v
    nForce SPP: 1.400 v
    nForce MCP: 1.500 v
    Auxililary: 1.500 v

    Memory Timings:
    Row Address Strobe (tRAS): 5
    Write Recovery Time (tWR): 4
    RAS to CAS access (tRCD): 3
    RAS to CAS Delay (tRRD): 3
    Memory bank switch (tRP): 3
    R to W Turnaround (tRWT): 5
    R to R Timing (tRDRD): 3
    Row Cycle Time (tRC): 17
    W to W Timing (tWRWR): 2
    CAS Latency (tCL): 3
    Command Per Clock (tCPC): 0
    Row Cycle Time (tRC): 17

    ~~~~~SiSoft Sandra Lite ver. 2007.4.11.22 Benchmarks with above nTune
    reported values

    Processor Arithmetic:
    Dhrystone ALU: 24787 MIPS
    Whetstone ISSE3: 16853 MFLOPS
    Memory Bandwidth:
    Int Buffered iSSE2: 6051
    Float Buffered iSSE2: 6082
    Bandwidth Efficiency: 63% estimated
    Maximum Bus Bandwidth: 9600 MB/s (estimated)
    Cache and Memory:
    Combined Index: 17082 MB/s
    Speed Factor: 51.4
    Processor Multi-Media:
    Integer x8 iS-SSE3: 148529 it/s
    Float x4 iSSE2: 80918 it/s
    Memory Latency:
    Random 16 MByte: 71.8 ns (193.8 clocks)
    Linear 16 MByte: 11.1 ns (30.0 clocks)

    ***** 1200 MHz FSB / 1200 MHz Memory Bus nTune Information
    System Clocks:
    Reference clock (FSB): 300 MHz
    CPU multiplier: 9 X
    CPU core frequency: 2,700 MHz
    FSB Frequency: 1,200 (QDR) MHz
    Memory bus frequency: 1200 (DDR2) MHz
    SPP Reference clock: 2,500 MHz
    MCP Reference clock: 2,500 MHz

    System Voltages:
    CPU: 1.250 v
    Memory: 2.300 v
    FSB: 1.400 v
    HT nForce SPP <-> MCP: 1.200 v
    nForce SPP: 1.450 v
    nForce MCP: 1.500 v
    Auxililary: 1.500 v

    Memory Timings:
    Row Address Strobe (tRAS): 10
    Write Recovery Time (tWR): 6
    RAS to CAS access (tRCD): 6
    RAS to CAS Delay (tRRD): 5
    Memory bank switch (tRP): 6
    R to W Turnaround (tRWT): 6
    R to R Timing (tRDRD): 3
    Row Cycle Time (tRC): 33
    W to R Command Delay (tWTR): 11
    W to W Timing (tWRWR): 2
    CAS Latency (tCL) 5
    Command Per CLock (tCPC): 0

    ~~~~~SiSoft Sandra Lite ver. 2007.4.11.22 Benchmarks with above nTune
    reported values

    Processor Arithmetic:
    Dhrystone ALU: 24789 MIPS
    Whetstone ISSE3: 16866 MFLOPS
    Memory Bandwidth:
    Int Buffered iSSE2: 6318
    Float Buffered iSSE2: 6320
    Bandwidth Efficiency: 66% (estimated)
    Maximum Bus Bandwidth: 9600 MB/s (estimated)
    Cache and Memory:
    Combined Index: 17815 MB/s
    Speed Factor: 46.3 (estimated)
    Processor Multi-Media:
    Integer x8 iS-SSE3: 148471 it/s
    Float x4 iSSE2: 80910 it/s
    Memory Latency:
    Random 16 MByte: 63.7 ns (171.9 clocks)
    Linear 16 MByte: 9.8 ns (26.5 clocks)

    Hope this helps somebody, ghod knows I don't understand it all yet B^(

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, May 5, 2007

  3. Ed Medlin

    Thomas Guest

    Ed, did you read up on this document yet? I downloaded it from a link
    supplied in this newsgroup. I cannot find it anymore, but here's the link to
    my FTP:
    http://www.eastwestjewels.nl/temp/nforce_680i_sli_overclocking.pdf

    Thomas, May 5, 2007
  4. Ed Medlin

    Ed Medlin Guest

    Thanks Thomas. It looks like a good read and will help. There is a lot more
    there than in my Asus manual.

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, May 5, 2007
  5. Ed Medlin

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Phil Weldon' wrote, in part:
    So here is my contribution, using nTune reports for the actual values.
    | (Caveat - nTune is still a bit squirrelly; as an example sometimes I can
    get
    | nTune to report the SPD information for memory modules, sometimes not.)
    _____

    The solution (at least for my EVGA 680i motherboard) for reading the SPD
    information is to use 'nVidia Control Panel' and select 'View System
    Information' (this can also be done by starting 'nTune'.

    THEN

    Double-click on one of the processors in 'Processor information'; this will
    display the processor information.

    THEN

    Double-click on one of the DIMMs in 'Memory information'; this will display
    the SPD information, including any extended SPD information (SLI-ready
    information.)

    After double-clicking on one of the processors in 'Processor information' in
    'View System Information' clicking on the 'View SPD' button in 'Adjust
    Motherboard Settings', then double-clicking on a DIMM in the 'Memory
    Information' window WILL display the SPD information, including any extended
    SPD information (SLI-ready information.)

    If I do not double-click on a processor in 'View System Information' FIRST,
    double-clicking on a DIMM in 'Memory information' does nothing AND
    double-clicking on a DIMM in 'Adjust Motherboard Settings' in the 'Memory
    Information' window [brought up by the 'View SPD information'] does nothing.

    Using the 'Create a tech support log file:' 'Save' button ALWAYS works and
    creates a text log file that includes the SPD and extended SPD information.

    The text log file SPD and extended SPD (NVIDIA Enhanced Performance Profile
    SPD information)
    for my Patriot PDC22G8500ELK DDR2-667/PC8500 1 GByte modules (which, by the
    way, have gone from the ~ $200 US for a pair I paid in late March to ~ $270
    US in early May) contain the following information
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Memory Dimm 0 (0x50)
    Memory type: DDR2 SDRAM

    Error correction: NONE

    Voltage interface level: SSTL (1.8V)

    Data width: 64 bits

    Number of physical banks: 2 (double sided)

    Number of logical banks: 4

    Number of row addresses: 14 14

    Number of col addresses: 10 10

    Bank density: 512 512 MB

    Primary RAM Width: 8 8 bits

    Error checking RAM Width: 0 0 bits

    Module density: 1024 MB

    Refresh rate: 7812.500 us

    Self-refresh: Yes

    Burst lengths supported: 4 8

    CAS 3.0:

    Cycle time (tCYC) = 5.000 ns fMax = 200.000 Mhz

    Access time (tAC) = 0.600 ns fMax = 1666.667 MHz

    CAS 4.0:

    Cycle time (tCYC) = 4.300 ns fMax = 232.558 Mhz

    Access time (tAC) = 0.500 ns fMax = 2000.000 MHz

    CAS 5.0:

    Cycle time (tCYC) = 2.500 ns fMax = 400.000 Mhz

    Access time (tAC) = 0.400 ns fMax = 2500.000 MHz

    Not reportedNot reportedMin delay, Bk/Bk random cols: 0 clocks

    Min row precharge time (tRP): 12.500 ns

    Min row active delay (tRRD): 7.500 ns

    Min RAS to CAS delay (tRCD): 12.500 ns

    Min Actv to precharge (tRAS): 39.000 ns

    Addr/Cmd setup time: 0.170 ns

    Addr/Cmd hold time: 0.250 ns

    Data setup time: 0.050 ns

    Data hold time: 0.120 ns

    Write recovery time (tWR) 15.000 ns

    Int Wr to Rd Cmd Dly (tWTR) 7.500 ns

    Int Rd to Pchg Cmd Dly (tRTP) 7.500 ns

    Min Act/Auto-Rfrsh Time (tRC) 51.500 ns

    Min Auto-Rfrsh/Act Cmd (tRFC) 105.000 ns

    Max Dev Cycle time (tCK max) 8.000 ns

    Max DQS-DQ Skew (tDQSQ max) 2.000 ns

    Rd data hold skew Fctr (tQHS) 3.000 ns

    PLL relock time 0.000 ns

    Memory analysis probe chars: 00

    DIMM type: UDIMM (module width = 133.35mm)

    FET switch external enable: No

    Analysis probe installed: No

    Includes weak driver: Yes

    Manufacturer's JEDEC ID code: 0000027f 7f7f7f7f

    Module manufacturing location: 1 (manufacture dependant)

    Module part number: PDC22G8500ELK

    Module revision code: 0 (manufacture dependant)

    Module manufacturing date: Not reported

    Module serial number: 00000000

    SPD revision: 1.1

    --- NVIDIA Enhanced Performance Profile SPD information ---

    SPD version: B1

    Profile for Optimal Performance: 01

    Profile 0 invalid

    Voltage Level: 4.9V

    Address Command Rate: 2T

    Address Drive Strength: 2.0x

    Chip Select Drive Strength: 2.0x

    Clock Drive Strength: 1.5x

    Data Drive Strength: 1.5x

    DQS Drive Strength: 1.5x

    Address Fine Delay: 31/64 MEMCLK delay

    Address Setup Time: 1 MEMCLK

    Chip Select Fine Delay: 31/64 MEMCLK delay

    Chip Select Setup Time: 1 MEMCLK

    Profile 1 valid

    Voltage Level: 2.3V

    Address Command Rate: 2T

    Address Drive Strength: 1.0x

    Chip Select Drive Strength: 1.0x

    Clock Drive Strength: 1.0x

    Data Drive Strength: 1.0x

    DQS Drive Strength: 1.0x

    Address Fine Delay: 1.0

    Address Setup Time: 1 MEMCLK

    Chip Select Fine Delay: No delay

    Chip Select Setup Time: 1 MEMCLK

    Sorry to be so wordy, but I wanted to be precise. Evidently the user
    interface for nVidia Control Panel and nTune were not thoroughly trested; I
    can't see any reason that the motherboard implementation could cause this
    problem.

    Phil Weldon, May 5, 2007
  6. Ed Medlin

    Ed Medlin Guest

    Thanks for the heads-up. The same works on my Asus P5N32-SLI also so you
    have hit upon something that, at least, gives NView some use. Before, I
    could not get any drop-down adjustment choices at all. I will do a bit of
    tweaking there just to see if it can actually work.

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, May 6, 2007