Core 2 Duo T7200 versus Core 2 Duo T7600

Discussion in 'Intel' started by ma740988, Dec 7, 2006.

  1. ma740988

    ma740988 Guest

    I'm in the market to purchase a DELL XPS. The desired processor is
    Core 2 Duo. I'm torn between the T7200 and the T7600. The fundamental
    difference between the Core 2 Duo T7200 versus the Core 2 Duo T7600
    surrounds the Frequency ( 2000 Mhz ( 7200 ) versus 2333 ( 7600 ) ) and
    the Multiplier ( 12x ( 7200 ) versus 14x ( 7600 ) ). The question:
    There's a 666 Mhz difference between the two ( not sure how to assess
    the multiplier ), nonetheless, will I notice this difference? I
    suspect the answer might be predicated upon 'what I'm doing' but beyond
    matlab / C++ applications .. I'm unsure I'll notice the difference.

    The specs:

    Model Number: Core 2 Duo T7200
    Frequency: 2000 MHz
    L2 Cache :4096 KiB
    Front Side Bus =: 667 MT/s
    Multiplier: 12x
    Voltage: 1.0375-1.3 V
    TDP: 34 W
    Socket: Socket M
    Release Date: August 28 2006
    Part Number: LF80537GF0414M
    Price: $294

    Model Number: Core 2 Duo T7600
    Frequency: 2333 MHz
    L2 Cache :4096 KiB
    Front Side Bus =: 667 MT/s
    Multiplier: 14x
    Voltage: 1.0375-1.3 V
    TDP: 34 W
    Socket: Socket M
    Release Date: August 28 2006
    Part Number: LF80537GF0534M
    Price: $637

    ma740988, Dec 7, 2006

  2. ma740988

    Nate Edel Guest

    What else are you going to be doing with them? And how big is the price
    difference?

    If these were desktop systems, and your answer was "video games" I'd say
    you'd do better saving the money from a top of the line system to get a
    better video card instead (or to replace you video card in another 6 months
    if you'd already budgeted for a top of the line card.)

    Given that you're talking about mobile chips, sort of a different set of
    alternatives to trade off on.

    Nate Edel, Dec 12, 2006

  3. That's cheap! However, there are two questions only you can answer: (1)
    how much CPU do you really need, aka will saving money piss you off
    waiting for something to run. My laptop is used for data entry, reading
    documentation, and web/mail, CPU isn't an issue. Part (2) what is the
    difference in power use and effective battery life? From the specs it
    sounds like zero, so there, you considered it. Of course if the fast one
    comes with better display, or graphics card, or larger disk, you still
    have a sticking point. I love my large screen, but I do think about
    better battery life, I traded slower CPU and less memory for the big
    display, and I'm still happy.

    Hope any of this helps.

    Bill Davidsen, Dec 27, 2006