Corrupt attachments in OS 10.3's Mail.app

Discussion in 'Apple' started by G.T., Aug 24, 2004.

  1. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    I support a few Macs on a very large corporate network with the usual
    Outlook/Exchange combo used for email. I'm trying to avoid Outlook
    2001 since it runs in Classic mode and I've had a few issues with it.

    The one problem I am having, and it's on only one user's Powerbook, is
    that any attachment sent from Outlook within the company ends up
    corrupted in the user's Mail.app. Attachments sent from webmail
    clients and such arrive fine. I'd blame it on the obvious suspects
    Exchange and Outlook but this is the only Mac that is having a
    problem. The attachment shows up as mime-attachment in the body of
    the mail and even if I open it with the appropriate application it's
    always corrupt.

    Any ideas? The problem is driving me crazy.

    Thanks,
    Greg

    G.T., Aug 24, 2004

  2. G.T.

    Kyle Jones Guest

    Don't confuse the MIME standard with Microsoft's various broken
    implementations of MIME. MIME is not a Microsoft initiated
    standard. MIME is an e-mail standard that was proposed in order
    to solve several nagging problem with e-mail on the Internet as
    it stood in the early 1990's. I've been supporting an e-mail
    client for the last fifteen years, so believe me when I tell you
    that at the time the MIME RFC's were published there was nothing
    better. There were several methods that could be used to mail
    non-text files around, but binary transport was only one of the
    problems that needed to be solved.

    Kyle Jones, Aug 25, 2004

  3. use entourage for exchange accounts.

    Jonathan Mujica, Aug 25, 2004