    I was thinking of Corsair TWINX1024-3200LLPRO. Is this a wise choice?
    Also, how overclockable is this RAM?
    Many thanks,

    phrag, Feb 19, 2004

  2. phrag

    ElJerid Guest

    Just to answer your question without considering other brands, I should not
    go for the PRO version. There are many threads on the Net about the leds on
    the modules causing problems at high speeds.
    Corsair modules are very fast, but don't expect to overclock them more than
    +/- 10%. Your choice is not easy, as it depends of how far you want to
    overclock. With PC3200 set at 5:4, the maximum will be a FSB speed of 250
    MHz (but at cas 2). At that speed, the DDR will then run at 200 MHz. If you
    want to go higher, you'd better go for PC3700 or PC4000. PC 4000 will allow
    you to oc the fsb to the same 250 MHz, but with 1:1 settings (but at cas 3).
    PC 3700 at 5:4 should allow 230 MHz at 1:1 and a theoretical 287 MHz at
    5:4. As you see, plenty of options. My personal belief is you'd better
    consider the global system performance rather than only the memory
    benchmarks. Those will be better when choosing for the highest FSB speed you
    could achieve, while remaining stable. That' s what you will achieve with
    PC3700 at 5:4 settings, allowing to go higher than 250 MHz. FSB speed. Your
    best choice should be TWINX1024-3700 or TWINX1024-3700 PT. The latest one is
    the Platinum version, which "should" benefit from higher selection criteria
    and a better cooling. Anyways, you' better taken twin modules, as they are
    perfectly paired for dual DDR configurations.

    ElJerid, Feb 20, 2004