Corsair Value Select Ram on AN7-NF7-S

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Joe, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    I am currently running an KT7A-R with Palomino 2100+. While it is a pretty
    good rig it is starting to show its age in that I have to turn down the
    sliders on some games a lot more than I would like. With the Pal 2100+ this
    motherboard is maxed out so......

    I have looked at the new 64 bit stuff but this technology seems a little too
    "new". Better to wait a year or so for the chipset and board makers to work
    out the bugs and for the software folks to produce something that knows what
    64 bit is and can take advantage of it.

    A combination of carefull research and mindless bias toward AMD and aginst
    Intell narrowed the choices down to two boards.

    1. NF7-S
    2. AN7

    The NF7-S leads due to its better stability and overclocking ability
    outweighing the AN7's better "toys".

    Since the KT7A-R takes SD ram while the NF7-S needs DDR I am going to be
    buying ram too. I would like to put a gig of ram in the next board but, from
    some of what I read, that might get VERY expensive.

    I hear one of the problems with these motherboards is that they are VERY
    sensitive about what kind of ram they will accept. Many reports have these
    boards throwing up at the first sight of "generic" (read cheap) ram but
    running fine with "premium" (read expensive) ram. I was wondering about
    the "in between" ram like Corsair Value Select. I know I cannot expect much
    overclocking with the Corsair Value Select but, overclocking asside, is it
    good stable ram for the NF7-S?

    Anyone out there running 1 Gig of Corsair Value Select in an NF7-S?

    Any reports/advice appreciated.

    Joe, Mar 2, 2004

  2. Joe

    Jef Norton Guest

    | I am currently running an KT7A-R with Palomino 2100+. While it is a pretty
    | good rig it is starting to show its age in that I have to turn down the
    | sliders on some games a lot more than I would like. With the Pal 2100+
    this
    | motherboard is maxed out so......
    |
    | I have looked at the new 64 bit stuff but this technology seems a little
    too
    | "new". Better to wait a year or so for the chipset and board makers to
    work
    | out the bugs and for the software folks to produce something that knows
    what
    | 64 bit is and can take advantage of it.
    |
    | A combination of carefull research and mindless bias toward AMD and aginst
    | Intell narrowed the choices down to two boards.
    |
    | 1. NF7-S
    | 2. AN7
    |
    | The NF7-S leads due to its better stability and overclocking ability
    | outweighing the AN7's better "toys".
    |
    | Since the KT7A-R takes SD ram while the NF7-S needs DDR I am going to be
    | buying ram too. I would like to put a gig of ram in the next board but,
    from
    | some of what I read, that might get VERY expensive.
    |
    | I hear one of the problems with these motherboards is that they are VERY
    | sensitive about what kind of ram they will accept. Many reports have these
    | boards throwing up at the first sight of "generic" (read cheap) ram but
    | running fine with "premium" (read expensive) ram. I was wondering about
    | the "in between" ram like Corsair Value Select. I know I cannot expect
    much
    | overclocking with the Corsair Value Select but, overclocking asside, is it
    | good stable ram for the NF7-S?
    |
    | Anyone out there running 1 Gig of Corsair Value Select in an NF7-S?
    |
    | Any reports/advice appreciated.

    Hi Joe -

    I cannot comment personally on Corsair Value Select, as I am using a gig of
    Corsair PC3200 XMS on my box (with nary a hiccup ever).

    Over at nForcersHQ there's a sticky on the Abit page where users have been
    posting their success and failure using different memory. There are users
    successfully using Corsair Value Select. Worth a read in making your
    selection:

    http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19882

    Jef

    Jef Norton, Mar 2, 2004

  3. Joe

    AvengerĀ© Guest

    Running Corsair PC3200 matched 512mb pair here in dual channel, no
    problems at all. Corsair appears to be very good quality RAM. I don't
    think you'll have any probs with Corsair.

    AvengerĀ©, Mar 2, 2004
  4. Joe

    Zeppo Guest

    Hi Joe,
    I've just built two NF7-S systems, one with 1/2 gig of Corsair XMS 3200LLPT
    and another with 1/2 gig of value select. Both are working without any
    problems and have run 24 hours of Prime95.

    I chose the value select on the system my daughter will take to college this
    summer because I don't plan to overclock it. It would be interesting to see
    how people have made out cranking it up a bit.

    Jon

    Zeppo, Mar 3, 2004
  5. Joe

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Only buy the cl2.5 value select. The cl3 value select will not give
    you any lee way with multiple sticks installed. With cl3 you can't
    select a lower cl speed, you can only lower the fsb.

    Also, pc2700 cl2.5 memory is the same speed as pc3200 cl3 memory.
    Hence the reason why they are priced similarly.

    See below.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

    This is true with *any* of the motherboards where your trying to use
    multiple sticks - which translates, in electrical terms, to driving a
    large capacitive load at high speeds.
    Yea, its a problem with cheap ass sellers these days. It would be
    nice if the federal trade commission got involved a shut a few
    internet generic sellers down.

    - HAL9000, Mar 3, 2004
  6. Joe

    Wblane Guest

    I couldn't get 512MB of Corsair Value-select 3200 to work w/either of my NF7-S
    v2.0 boards. The memory checked out perfectly when they tested it at Fry's.
    Frys said they had been getting a lot of the Corsair Value-select 3200 back due
    to incompatibility issues <shrug>.

    Wblane, Mar 3, 2004
  7. Joe

    Jon Rose Guest

    Bill,
    It didn't work at stock speeds or overclocked? Which CPU?

    Thanks,
    Jon

    Jon Rose, Mar 3, 2004
  8. I tried AN7 with Crucial and it hung on AF postcode, runs fine on PC3200 on
    major DRAM though.

    Jason Hubbard, Mar 3, 2004
  9. Joe

    Wblane Guest

    It wouldn't post even w/default BIOS settings. I even tried the latest BIOS
    (by going back to my PC 2700) and it still didn't work. This was w/the NF7-S
    v2.0 and a Barton 2800 (big waste of money there).

    Wblane, Mar 5, 2004