Could a BM6/BE6 handle Gigabit ethernet?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Gareth Jones, May 2, 2004.

  1. Gareth Jones

    Gareth Jones Guest

    Hi Folks,

    I'm thinking of upgrading our home office to gigabit LAN. A couple of
    the new machines (IS7g and Asus A7V600) have it built on the
    motherboards, but we've also got some old but very reliable BE6 and BM6
    machines that we still use. The BM6 with an 800MHz Celeron (via adapter)
    in particular has become the general purpose file server (have a promise
    UDMA100 RAID controller in there).

    My question is, if I stick a PCI gigabit card in the old machines, are
    there going to be any bottlenecks anywhere that would make the data
    throughput substantially slower via these compared with going via one of
    the newer ones.

    TIA

    Gareth.

    followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
    followed by 'net'

    Gareth Jones, May 2, 2004

  2. Gareth Jones

    TomG Guest

    I would think that the BE6 would handle it okay a long as there wasn't heavy
    competition for the PCI bus bandwidth. keep in mind that if you do not have
    an add-in EIDE controller with better capability like you do with the BM6,
    the onboard IDE channels are ATA33 at best, which would limit the
    performance of the filing system and that could easily become an overall
    limitation of the performance of the platform.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, May 2, 2004

  3. Gareth Jones

    Gareth Jones Guest

    Hmmm..... I seem to recall that the BE6 was one of the first boards to
    have UDMA support and the highpoint (366??) controller was limited. Is
    it only '33' though?? Somehow I thought it was UDMA66

    I'm probably wrong! Been a long time since I built it.

    Its the BM6 with the UDMA100 PCI card that would probably be the most
    important one. It would be the 'server'
    Both the BE6 and BM6 are BX based boards yes?
    Therefore would I be correct in assuming that if you think the BE can
    handle it (with a fast disk subsystem) then the BM should be ok as well
    ??
    The BM was sold as a lower cost option. I'm hoping it hasn't been
    'crippled' in some bus infrastructure way!

    Gareth Jones, May 2, 2004
  4. Gareth Jones

    TomG Guest

    you are correct that the BE6 has the Highpoint 366 controller which is
    ATA66. many people had poor to mediocre performance out the beast but I
    never had any issues with it and still have two or more boards in operation
    with the Highpoint 366 as the primary controller.

    assuming that you have an installation that provides no performance problems
    out of the Highpoint controller, you would have at least ATA66 operation.
    however, any modern drive is ATA100 and, in theory, you would get even
    better performance with an ATA100 drive and controller combination.

    TomG, May 2, 2004
  5. Yeah, your BM6 system will be fine. It's Sunday and Tom's never firing all
    cylinders at the weekend. Probably explains why he missed your comment about
    this system having an ATA100 PCI card! ;-)

    The only downside with it, as Tom correctly says, will be PCI bus contention
    issues. The IC7-G and IS7-G boards have a big advantage in this area as the
    gigabit ethernet chip is directly linked into the northbridge chip, and thus
    doesn't take up PCI bus bandwidth.

    However, provided both your UDMA100 card and whatever giganet card you buy
    are bus mastering, you should still get a useful network performance boost
    from the upgrade, if of course your network is heavily utilised at the
    moment.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, May 2, 2004
  6. Gareth Jones

    TomG Guest

    yeah, I saw that the BM6 had the ATA100 controller added in but I figured
    the comments directed towards the BE6 would still be worthwhile.

    TomG, May 2, 2004