"could not be opened because the original item cannot be found"

Discussion in 'Apple' started by David Magda, Apr 26, 2005.

  1. David Magda

    David Magda Guest

    Hello,

    I'm getting this message when I try connect to a Windows XP share
    from a Panther (10.3.9) box.

    After doing a search, it seems that there really isn't a reliable
    solution to getting this message. Apple recommends using the "Connect
    to server..." functionality (<cmd-k>) rather then connecting to the
    server via 'browsing':

    I'm currently more interested in a "why?". Is there a technical
    explanation as to why the message appears? The full error message
    talks about an alias. Some solutions talk about deleting the contents
    of /private/var/automount/Network but that doesn't seem to help.

    I've filed a bug report with Apple regarding the uselessness of the
    error message, and hopefully something will come of it. It seems that
    it's quite hard technically to reilable browse a SMB/CIFS network
    because of the protocol design. But if the "Connect to server..."
    command can work somewhat reliably, then so should double-clicking on
    the server in the browser.

    I guess that's enough ranting for now.

    Thanks for any info.

    David Magda, Apr 26, 2005