    Golly gee. Am I hosed here? Perhaps if I wait all night it will get
    to the part where it will boot from a: and I can flash to J438...

    pc

    pc, Mar 23, 2005

  2. pc

    Robert Akins Guest

    The reason you got that response after flashing to JE439 is because the
    official BIOS versions don't support the K6-2+ and K6-III+ CPUs! Only the
    JE4330-JE4333 BIOSs support the mobile CPUs. You're not going to be happy
    with the DMA (as in UDMA- IDE?) performance as long as you're using the
    onboard VIA IDE controller, because it just isn't very speedy. Flashing the
    BIOS to a different version isn't going to change that, or anything else
    that's a function of the chipset.
    Robert

    Robert Akins, Mar 24, 2005

  3. pc

    pc Guest

    <SNIP SNIP SNIP>

    Well, at least that mystery is solved! I was trying to figure how I
    ended up with that JE4333 bios!

    So, what happens if I put my old K6-2 350 in? Think it'll boot? I
    shall give it a try!

    Thanks.

    pc

    pc, Mar 24, 2005
  4. pc

    pc Guest

    Yep. That worked. I put a K6-2/350 in, and voila!

    Sure glad YOUR lights were on. I didn't make notes about K6x+ bios
    support because I figured I'd never be flashing the bios again. That
    was several years ago.

    Thanks again for the pointer. You've saved a nice, tidy little system.

    pc

    pc, Mar 24, 2005
  5. pc

    Robert Akins Guest

    Glad you had a spare CPU. No problem, happy to help.
    Robert

    Robert Akins, Mar 26, 2005
  6. pc

    pc Guest

    <SNIP>

    BTW, as soon as I got it running with the K6-2/350, I flashed it back
    to JE4333 and put the K6-3+/450 back in OCd to 550 MHz.

    I ordered a Silicon Graphics based AT133 board for the HDD.

    Tanks again.

    pc

    pc, Mar 28, 2005
  7. pc

    Robert Akins Guest

    You're quite welcome.
    Robert

    Robert Akins, Mar 29, 2005
  8. pc

    pc Guest

    Man, I put a Syba Ultra ATA 133 IDE RAID Controller Card in, and the
    disc performance increased by 50%. It has the Silicon Image 680 chip
    and a non-flashable BIOS.

    It cost less than $14 delivered. It's a raid, but will also support
    stand HDD config plus CD and DVD.

    What a deal!

    The VA503+ 1.2 has a 1 MB cache. Add the two levels of cache from the
    K6-3+ and it's difficult to believe this is a PII class machine when it
    is clocked at 550 MHz.

    I just love this old dog.

    pc, Apr 6, 2005
  9. Yeah, that Silicon Image 680 is a pretty sweet ATA133 chip, especially
    for the price! We have one of them at work.

    I know what you mean about the computer running better than PII class.
    That extra layer of cache does make a difference. Glad things are going
    well with your machine.

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Apr 6, 2005
  10. pc

    student Guest

    Do you happen to know if there is a linux driver
    for the Ultra ATA 133 IDE RAID Controller Card?

    Thanks.

    student, Apr 7, 2005
  11. Yes, there is Linux support for the Sil0680/0680a chipset. I have
    booted to a Knoppix 3.6 CD, and the the controller was recognized
    immediately, with no problems. The hard drive attached to it was
    recognized as /dev/hde .

    From what I have read, support has been built in since the 2.4.18
    kernel, so any fairly new distribution of Linux should work right out of
    the box. This applies when it is used as a plain IDE controller,
    anyway. I do not know its status as a RAID controller. Software RAID
    should work, but I do not know about hardware.

    Hope this helps.

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Apr 7, 2005
  12. pc

    student Guest

    For sure.

    I had never heard of the Syba Ultra ATA 133 IDE RAID Controller Card and
    it sounds like a really good deal to me.

    Thanks for posting the info!

    Bill

    student, Apr 8, 2005
  13. Actually, the Sil680 controller card that I got was made by Koutech and
    cost me about $23. The card was fairly simple, though, so the Syba is
    probably just as capable. It probably comes down to who happens to be
    selling it for a good price. $14 sounds like a steal!

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Apr 8, 2005
  14. pc

    edi Guest

    Just wanna say how few years ago tried to put some better K6 II+ or
    something,
    and board sayed CPU at 66 MHz. Now, thats o.k.
    I gott'a BIOS from FIC, and guess what? The flash tool couldn't flash my
    boards bios. The message from tool is so discouraging, an leads to a
    conclusion that this VA 503+ as it is a latest bios
    JE(blabla-somethig-latest) , has problems with the official beta bios that
    provides suport for K6 + processors. So had to stay at K6 at 500. (Oh boy
    stop there, this part could become to wide. There is a long story with
    OC-ing of that cpu. Not this time.)

    Stay whell!

    edi, May 3, 2005