CPU fan gets stuck on high

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by Walter Williams, Feb 28, 2006.

  1. Machine description:
    Dell Precision 470 (latest bios)
    Single Xeon 2.8GHz/1MB/800MHz (HT is enabled)
    1GB RAM
    Yada, yada, yada
    Windows XP Pro (SP2)

    Issue:

    When the CPU gets a high amount of utilization, the fan kicks in high and
    loud. When the utilization stops, the fan *never* slows down until the
    system is rebooted. It is not related to a single program; anything can do
    it.

    I tried loading the latest Intel chipset driver (v7.2.2.1006) for the E7525
    chipset, but have not seen any change.

    I'd like a solution or at least a utility that will reset the fan speed. If
    anyone knows how I could do it programmatically, I could write it.

    PS: I've tried Dell support and their forums and they're useless.

    Walter Williams

    Walter Williams, Feb 28, 2006

  2. Walter Williams

    Paul Guest

    I cannot find any info on the motherboard in that machine.
    I presume it has a hardware monitor chip, but I don't know
    what firmware/software is controlling the fan. It could be
    a BIOS function, or some tool running in Windows.

    A popular program is SpeedFan, from http://almico.com/sfdownload.php
    It can program popular hardware monitor chips, and adjust the
    fan speed as a function of temperature. Now, whether it will
    work with, or conflict with, whatever is controlling the
    fan right now, I cannot say.

    Intel retail fans are designed to sense the case air temperature,
    and they ramp their fan speed as the case air temperature rises.
    After the CPU load drops back down from 100%, you would think
    eventually the computer case temperature would drop, and with
    it, the fan speed. (In other words, a fan can be controlled
    by the hardware monitor chip, or the fan itself can respond
    to thermal conditions. With the Dell, I don't know what is
    inside the box. The E7525 suggests that perhaps the Dell uses
    an Intel server board, but there are other manufacturers who
    could have made the motherboard.)

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 28, 2006

  3. Thanks for your reply.

    I installed it, but it doesn't appear to be able to work with my
    motherboard. The report is as follows:

    Win9x:NO 64Bit:NO GiveIO:YES SpeedFan:YES
    I/O properly initialized
    Linked ISA BUS at $0290
    Linked Intel 82801EB ICH5 SMBUS at $ECE0
    Scanning ISA BUS at $0290...
    SuperIO Chip=LPC47M534 (PLEASE REPORT)
    Scanning Intel SMBus at $ECE0...
    Unknown Winbond1=$CDCD ID=$81 on SMBus at $2E
    Unknown Winbond2=$DA64 ID=$B3 on SMBus at $2E
    SMART Enabled for drive 0
    Found ST340014AS (40.0GB)
    SMART Enabled for drive 1
    Found Maxtor 7B300S0 (300.1GB)
    End of detection
    Error loading event -->
    CfgVersion=01.0001
    EventsVersion=01.0001
    Loaded 0 events

    I believe the board is manufactured by Dell themselves, so I don't believe
    it has a model number. I submitted my info to SpeedFan, but I don't know if
    I'll see anything.

    Walter Williams

    Walter Williams, Mar 1, 2006