CPU frequency problem with K7VTA3 mobo

Discussion in 'ECS' started by LazzaH, Dec 15, 2003.

  1. LazzaH

    LazzaH Guest

    Hi, can anyone help?

    On Saturday I purchased an ECS K7VTA3 mobo and AMD Athlon 1900+ CPU.
    Have had all sorts of problems, one of which is this: The CPU
    frequency of the 1900+ is 133Mhz. The jumpers on the mobo come set for
    100Mhz. If I run the CPU at this setting (which, in my ignorance, I
    did to start with), the board will power up OK but shows the CPU as a
    1200 and I have had problems with the graphics card, which is a
    Geforce 3 MX440 SE 64Mb AGP. Am running Windows XP Home, and the
    display driver has defaulted to "VGASAVE". I believe there is a
    compatibility issue with this mobo/graphics card combination? I seem
    to recall having problems with a mobo with a VIA chipset a couple of
    years ago.

    If I change the jumper settings to 133Mhz, by shorting pins 2-3 on
    Jumper 3, the mobo will power up the first time, and recognises the
    CPU correctly, but if I then restart the PC, the mobo won`t go into
    POST at all. At least, nothing is showing on screen.

    As I said, I have a problem with the graphics card and the display
    setting which has defaulted to VGASAVE. I have installed the latest
    drivers for the card but it keeps saying there is a problem.

    Could it be a faulty graphics card? Unfortunately, I don`t have a
    spare to try.

    I read in one solution to the VGASAVE problem that setting the correct
    frequency on the mobo will solve this.

    My head is spinning trying to sort this out, can anyone advise?

    TIA

    Larry

    LazzaH, Dec 15, 2003

  2. LazzaH

    Mr. Slow Guest

    Have you reset the CMOS, then set your FSBs to 133 mhz? Is your PSU
    adequate? Are you using PC133 RAM? Is your BIOS set for an AGP rate which is
    incompatible with the GeForce?

    If your head is spinning, take a break and look at it tomorrow. There are
    enough people here to help you if need be................

    Mr. Slow, Dec 15, 2003

  3. LazzaH

    LazzaH Guest

    Hi, thanks for replying. I`m waiting until the weekend to try and sort
    this out. I might just buy a different mobo, ISTR that I had problems
    with a mobo with a VIA Chipset back when I first upgraded to an AMD
    processor - it was 500 Mhz! Wouldn`t work with my Matrox Millenium
    Graphics card. I must`ve forgot the golden rule - steer clear of mobos
    with the VIA chipset!

    You asked if my PSU is adequate, and I notice this is often asked in
    other posts, is 350 watt not sufficient?! As for the ram, I bought a
    DDR333 to go with it, as specified on the box!

    LazzaH, Dec 18, 2003
  4. It probably is, but not all PSU's are made the same. I am trying to
    track down an occasional hang in my K7VTA3 system which may be caused by
    a poor, older PSU. These days, I like the Antec True PSU's - have a look
    here: http://www.antec-inc.com/us/pro_p_truepw.html, especially reading
    more about feature 1.

    --
    R.

    <> Richard Brockie "Categorical statements
    <> The tall blond one. always cause trouble."
    <>

    Richard Brockie, Jan 1, 2004