CPU is unworkable or has been changed.

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Randy Schroder, Apr 4, 2005.

  1. Hello all

    Had a system for over a year that suddenly I am now getting an error message
    at BIOS POST that says the following:

    CPU is unworkable or has been changed. Press F1 to continue or DEL to enter
    SOFT MENU.

    I looked at the BIOS settings and everything looks OK--right CPU is
    detected, etc. If I press F1, the computer boots up and seems to operate
    OK.

    Here is my system:

    Abit IC7-G v1.1, BIOS 27
    Pentium 4 3.0C @ stock
    Corsair TwinX 1024 3200LL Pro @ SPD
    2 x WD 120GB SATA HD
    Windows XP Pro SP2

    Any ideas as to what is causing this?

    Thanks
    Randy Schroder

    Randy Schroder, Apr 4, 2005

  2. Randy Schroder

    JefN Guest

    | Hello all
    |
    | Had a system for over a year that suddenly I am now getting an error
    message
    | at BIOS POST that says the following:
    |
    | CPU is unworkable or has been changed. Press F1 to continue or DEL to
    enter
    | SOFT MENU.
    |

    | I looked at the BIOS settings and everything looks OK--right CPU is
    | detected, etc. If I press F1, the computer boots up and seems to operate
    | OK.
    |
    | Here is my system:
    |
    | Abit IC7-G v1.1, BIOS 27
    | Pentium 4 3.0C @ stock
    | Corsair TwinX 1024 3200LL Pro @ SPD
    | 2 x WD 120GB SATA HD
    | Windows XP Pro SP2
    |

    | Any ideas as to what is causing this?
    |
    | Thanks
    | Randy Schroder

    Hi Randy -

    Meter your motherboard battery. It may be on the weak side.

    Jef

    JefN, Apr 4, 2005

  3. Thanks for the tip, Jef. I'll look into it.

    Randy

    Randy Schroder, Apr 4, 2005
  4. Randy Schroder

    TomG Guest

    after making notes about your current settings on all pertinent screens in
    the bios setup, clear the CMOS with all power removed and then go in and
    reprogram the settings. you might want to get a new battery to swap out the
    existing one prior to moving ahead as the current battery might be going
    dead.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Apr 4, 2005
  5. Hey Tom

    OK, thanks. Since I'm one rev behind in the BIOS (and have to go through
    and reset all the CMOS settings anyway), I'll flash 28 and put a new battery
    in it and see what happens.

    Thanks for the input.

    Randy

    Randy Schroder, Apr 4, 2005
  6. Randy Schroder

    TomG Guest

    good luck...

    TomG, Apr 5, 2005
  7. Tom/Jef

    Flashed 28 and replaced the battery today. All is well.

    Metered the battery, and it was reading 3.05V, so I'm not sure that the
    battery was the culprit.

    Thanks for the help.
    Randy

    Randy Schroder, Apr 6, 2005
  8. Randy Schroder

    JefN Guest

    | Tom/Jef
    |
    | Flashed 28 and replaced the battery today. All is well.
    |
    | Metered the battery, and it was reading 3.05V, so I'm not sure that the
    | battery was the culprit.
    |
    | Thanks for the help.
    | Randy

    Hi Randy -

    Glad to hear you're sorted.

    Your battery was certainly within spec. Perhaps the contact with the clip
    was oxidizing. In any event, it probably wasn't an expensive fix.

    Jef

    JefN, Apr 7, 2005
  9. Randy Schroder

    TomG Guest